Original URL 4/21/1997: http://www.umsl.edu/services/library/blackstudies/moslave.htm
University of Missouri-St. Louis
Thomas Jefferson Library
Series 5: Slave Narratives. 1936-1938
George P. Rawick Papers
Transcripts compiled from the WPA Writer's Projects, 1936-1938. Entries
have been taken from the George P. Rawick Papers. The narratives
presented here are from ex-slaves who spent most of their time as slaves
in Missouri. Narratives of ex-slaves in other states are also included
as part of the Rawick Papers. Please contact
Western Historical Manuscripts/University Archives (314-516-5143)
at the University of Missouri- St. Louis, Thomas Jefferson Library, 8001 Natural
Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO, 63121, USA. You may also email Zelli Fischetti
for information about this collection. (Please note that only
those narratives presented here are in an electronic format.) Questions
about the electronic presentation should be directed to Anne Taylor (email@example.com).
Narratives are presented here in text format. There are no photos or graphics in this
portion of the collection. Hypertext markup was added to make it easier to move from
one file to another. Narratives have been placed in alphabetical order with the narrator's place
of residence at the time of the interview. Some files may include text from the writer;
often describing physical attributes of the subject, the conditions in which they lived,
and the circumstances in which the writer found them. It should be noted that some
of the writers brought stereotypical views of blacks to their work.
The recollection of Mr. R. C. Arnett, Fredericktown, Madison
County, Missouri, includes list of former slaves residing in Madison County, Missouri, in
1937. A hand written note on the mimeograph states that Mr. Arnett was himself an ex-slave,
but nothing in the text of the recollection supports the assertion.
- Parson and Hannah Allen, Fredericktown, Missouri
- Mary Armstrong, Houston, Texas
- Sina Banks, McAlester, Oklahoma
- John Barker, Bracketville, Texas
- Kate Betters, McLennan County, Texas
- Della Mun Bibles, McLennan County, Texas
- William Black, Hannibal, Missouri
- Mary Martha Bolden, Troy, Missouri
- George Washington Brooks, St. Francois County, Missouri
- Richard Bruner, Nelson, Missouri
- Charles Butlington, Warrensburg, Missouri
- George Conway, Omaha, Nebraska
- Phannie Corneal, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Ed Craddock, Marshall, Missouri
- Nelson Danforth, Ash Grove, Missouri
- Margaret Davis, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
The narratives collection is extensive and time-consuming to convert to
electronic format. New narratives will be added as my schedule permits.
Many thanks to Carol Robinson for her generous help scanning several of the narratives.
- Go to African Missouri main page.
- Go to Anne's home page.
- Go to Western Historic Manuscripts/University Archives home page.
- Go to Rawick Papers main page.
Date Last Modified: April 03, 1997