Welcome to Haitao Li's Home Page!
Dr. Haitao Li
Associate Professor of Logistics and Operations Management, College of Business Administration
Research Fellow, Center for Transportation Studies (CTS)
Chair, Ph.D. Committee
University of Missouri - St Louis , MO 63121
CCB Office: (314) 516 – 5890
CTS Office: (314) 516 - 7269
PhD, Operations Management, The University of Mississippi, 2005
M.A., Economics, The University of Mississippi, 2002
B.E., International Trade and Aeronautical Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, 2000
Click here to view my CV.
Supply Chain Operational Modeling
Production and Operations Management
Resource Constrained Project Scheduling Problem (RCPSP): A well-known scheduling problem that has applications in both manufacturing and service industries.
Supply Chain Design: The optimal design of a supply chain including its physical logistics network and configurations at each stage.
Metaheuristics: The design and implementation of tabu search to solve challenging combinatorial optimization problems. The problems I have been working on include: Protein Folding Problem (Protein Structure Prediction Problem), Resource Constrained Competitive Bidding, Product Line Optimization Problem.
Constraint Programming: The design and implementation of integrated (hybrid) algorithms that combine the complementary strengths of both constraint programming and OR techniques.
Stochastic Optimization and Modeling
· CO-PI, “Decision Support Tool Model for Scheduling and Resource Allocation in Construction Projects through Application of Operations Research Methods”, sponsored by the Interdisciplinary/Intercampus Research Grants of UM System, $37,600, June 2013 to May 2014.
· PI, “Models and Algorithms for Stochastic Resource Planning”, sponsored by HP Labs Innovative Research Program, $72,587, from August 2011 to July 2012.
· PI, “Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling under Uncertainty: Models, Algorithms and Applications”, sponsored by the Army Research Office (ARO)
Young Investigator Award, $146,931, September 2010 to August 2013.
· PI, “Optimizing the Project Portfolio Design and Staffing Decisions for Professional Service Enterprises”, sponsored by HP Labs Innovative Research
Program, $32,200, from August 2010 to July 2011.
· PI, “New Models and Algorithms for Stochastic Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling”, sponsored by University Missouri Research Board, $23,800,
June 2010 to May 2011.
of Optimization Methodologies to Optimized Skills Bank and
· Research Consultant, Naval Personnel Research Studies and Technology (NPRST), April 2008 to August 2008.
· Research Consultant, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, “Service Analytics: Workforce Optimization”, March 2008 to present.
· Statistical Analysis on the Maximum Price Survey for WIC Vendors in Alabama, February 2007.
· Business Consultant,
· Statistical Analyst,
Naval Personnel Research Studies and Technology (NPRST),
Selected Journal Publications
· Millstein, M., L. Yang and H. Li (2013) Optimizing ABC Inventory Grouping Decisions, International Journal of Production Economics, forthcoming.
· Alidaee, B. and H. Li (2013), Parallel Machine Selection and Job Scheduling to Minimize Sum of Machine Holding Cost, Total Machine Time Costs and Total
Tardiness Costs, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering.
· Santos, C., T. Gonzalez, H. Li, K.-Y. Chen, D. Beyer, S. Biligi, Q. Feng, R. Kumar, S. Jain, R. Ramanujan, A. Zhang (2013), HP Enterprise Services Uses
Optimization for Resource Planning, Interfaces, Vol. 43, No. 2, p152-169.
· Li, H. and K. Womer (2012), Optimizing the Supply Chain Configuration for Make-to-Order Manufacturing, European Journal of Operational Research,
Vol. 221, No. 1, p118-128.
· Li, H. and D. Jiang (2012), New Model and Heuristics for Safety Stock Placement in General Acyclic Supply Chain Networks, Computers and Operations
Research, Vol. 39, No. 7, p1333-1344.
· Li, H. and M. Amini (2012), A Hybrid Optimization Approach to Configure a Supply Chain for New Product Diffusion: A Case Study of Multiple-Sourcing
Strategy, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 50, No. 11, p3152–3171.
· Amini, M. and H. Li (2011), Supply Chain Configuration for Dynamic Diffusion of New Products: An Integrated Optimization Approach, Omega,
Vol. 39, No. 3, p313-322.
· Rego, C., H. Li and F. Glover (2011), A Filter-and-Fan Approach to the 2D Lattice Model of the Protein Folding Problem, to appear in Annals of
Operations Research, Vol. 188, No. 1, p389-414.
· Li, H. and K. Womer (2009), A Decomposition Approach for Shipboard Manpower Scheduling, Military Operations Research, Vol. 14, No. 3, p1-23.
· Li, H. and K. Womer (2009), Scheduling Projects with Multi-Skilled Personnel by a Hybrid MILP/CP Benders Decomposition Algorithm, Journal of
Scheduling, Vol. 12, No. 3, p281-298.
· Li, H. and K. Womer (2008), Modeling the Supply Chain Configuration Problem under Resource Constraints, International Journal of Project
Management, Vol. 26, No. 6, p646-654.
Patents and Inventions
· Santos, P., H. Li and I. Lopez (2014). Method Generating Optimal Project Portfolios, Invention Disclosure. (Submitted)
· Li, H. (2013). System and Method of Stochastic Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling, U.S. Patent Application 61/795,574, filed October 2013. Patent
· Li, H. (2012). Hybrid Architecture in Approximate Dynamic Programming for Project Scheduling, Provisional Patent Application submitted, Attorney
Docket Number: 13UMS002prov.
· Li, H. (2012). Stochastic Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling, Provisional Patent Application submitted, Attorney Docket Number:
· Santos, C. A., H. Li, T. Gonzalez, H. Davis, S. Perez, F. Orozco, O. Fernandez and C. Bartolini (2012). Project Portfolio Optimization (PPO), Invention
· Santos, C. and Tere Gonzalez, Xin Zhang, Shelen Jain, Andrei Fuciec, Haitao Li, Claudia Marquez-Nava, Christopher Mejia (2011). Optimizing Workforce
Capacity and Capability, Patent Application submitted, Attorney Docket
· Optimizing a Reciprocal Workforce, with Kay-Yut Chen, Claudia Marquez-Nava, Alex Zhang and Pano Santos, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, October, 2013.
· Lookahead or Lookback: A Hybrid Architecture in Approximate Dynamic Programming, invited talk at the 18th Army Conference on Applied Statistics, Monterey, CA, Oct. 2012.
· Made-to-Order Production Scheduling using Bayesian Updating, with K. Womer, J. Camm, C. Osterman, R. Radhakrishnan, invited talk at the 18th Army Conference on Applied Statistics, Monterey, CA, Oct. 2012.
· Stochastic Resource Planning, invited talk at HPL, Palo Alto, CA, Oct. 2012.
· HP Enterprise Services Uses Optimization for Resource Planning, with Pano et al., INFORMS Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC, Nov. 2011.
· Project Portfolio Design and Staffing at HP, invited talk at HPL, Palo Alto, CA, Oct. 2011.
· Stochastic Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling and Its Military Applications, 17th Army Conference on Applied Statistics, Annapolis, MD, Oct. 2011.
· Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling under Uncertainty: Models, Algorithms and Applications, Military Operations Research Society Session, INFORMS Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, Nov. 2010.
· Constraint Programming Based Hybrid Algorithms for Project Scheduling and Resource Allocation, Decision Sciences Workshop sponsored by Department of Defense, at United States Military Academy, West Point, NY, June 16 – 17, 2009.
A New Approach to Supply Chain
Configuration Optimization: Models, Algorithms and Research Opportunities,
presented at Seminar of Department of Industrial and System