Ask A Librarian
Ask A Librarian
Cite Your Sources
I Need To ...
Using My Library Account
My Library Account
STL Area Libraries
Locate Journal Titles
Locate eBooks/Online Books
Recommended Web Sites
MERLIN / MOBIUS
Connecting to Library Resources
About the Libraries
Where is ...?
Location, Directions & Maps
Giving to the University Libraries
Gifts to the Libraries
Circulation and Access
MERLIN & MOBIUS
Library Instruction Room
Finding Aids by Department or Campus Unit
St. Louis Mercantile Library
State Historical Society
These patron behavior policies apply to all individuals using the Libraries at the University of Missouri-St Louis (UMSL). The library staff, library security officers, and campus police may enforce these policies. Additionally, students are required to comply with the UMSL Student Code of Conduct and UMSL's Academic Dishonesty Guidelines.
- Beverages and Food:
- Except for Café TJ, patrons are not permitted to consume food in the UMSL Libraries (this includes the study rooms).
- All beverages must be in spill-proof containers or cups with lids. Water bottles with caps are acceptable.
- Beverages are not permitted:
- in the Rare Book Reading Room of the St. Louis Mercantile Library,
- in the Reading Room of the State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center - St. Louis,
- in the Video Rooms,
- or on or around artwork as indicated by signs in those areas.
- Beverages and food are available in the Café TJ in the Thomas Jefferson Library. Information on other food and beverage locations on campus can be found at the Sodexo web site.
Photography is not allowed in the St. Louis Mercantile Library or in the State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center - St. Louis without prior authorization. Permission to use images may be requested at the Reading Rooms of each area.
- Cell Phone Use:
Cell Phone Usage: Receiving and making calls is restricted in many areas of the Libraries. If you must receive or make a call, please do so quietly and move to the Café TJ (Level 3) for extended conversations. Do not leave your valuables unattended.
Parents may not leave children unattended in the Libraries and they are responsible for their children's behavior while in the Libraries. Unattended children under the age of 16 will be asked to leave the Libraries.
- Circulation and Access
Library Cards (UMSL, Mercantile, Guest Borrower, and Alumni), loan periods, renewals, billing for overdue and lost items & other information
- Computer Use:
The public computer terminals may be used to access information resources for educational, instructional, and research purposes only.
- Please be careful with beverages and do not place them directly on top of computer terminals or electronic equipment. All beverages must be in spill-proof containers or cups with lids. Water bottles with caps are acceptable.
- Faculty, students, staff, and other UMSL affiliated patrons have priority for using the public computer terminals.
- The UMSL Acceptable Use Policy, which lists certain responsibilities and ethical behavior expected of computer patrons, will be followed. This policy may be accessed at: http://www.umsl.edu/studentlife/dsa/student_planner/policies/computing.htm and UM System Acceptable Use Policy
- The Library Research Commons (library computer lab) is run by UMSL's Information Technology Services department and is subject to their rules and policies. The computers in the Library Research Commons are available to:
- UMSL affiliated patrons with valid UMSL SSO IDs.
- University of Missouri (UM) affiliated patrons with valid UM SSO IDs.
- Additional policies apply to Library laptops.
- Code of Conduct:
Patrons must respect the rights of other patrons and abide by all University and Libraries' policies, licensing, and contractual agreements.
- Noise: Patrons must help to maintain a quiet environment and refrain from engaging in any behavior that interferes with the normal use of the Libraries by others.
- Theft and Vandalism: Library materials, equipment, or property must not be taken from library buildings without proper checkout or authorization. Patrons engaging in theft, vandalizing, altering or damaging library buildings, furniture or equipment, including computer systems, networks, programs or data, are in violation of Missouri State Law and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the Law.
- Library materials: Patrons may not use the equipment in an unsafe or harmful manner and should not damage equipment and facilities, as they will be held accountable for any damage they cause. Patrons must handle library materials carefully so that they are not defaced or damaged in any way. Patrons must not mark, underline, remove or fold pages or portions of pages, remove binding, or use paper clips or Post-it®/sticky notes.
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
DMCA information for the University of Missouri System.
Information on monetary gifts and donations of books & other items
- In Case of Emergencies:
Patrons should follow instructions given by the Libraries' Emergency Monitors, security officers, and staff, verbally or via the public announcement system, during emergency situations or drills.
- Interlibrary Loan
Services to obtain copies of articles as well as books that cannot be borrowed through MOBIUS
- Library Closing:
Prior to the daily closing, three announcements at 30, 15, and 5 minutes will be made reminding patrons that the library will be closing. Upon a fourth and final announcement indicating the libraries are closed, all staff members and patrons must promptly exit the libraries so that staff and security officers can lock the building.
- Laptop Circulation Policy
Rules and policies governing the laptops available for borrowing at the Public Service Desk
- Library Instruction Room (Room 315) Policy
Policies governing the use of the library's instruction room
- Lost and Found:
The Thomas Jefferson Library maintains a lost and found container. The first working day of the month, a library staff member will send the items to the Lost and Found Center in the Millennium Student Center. Wallets, purses, cell phones and other PDA equipment are immediately given to campus police. The Library Research Commons (Computer Lab) also retains lost items. Please check with them for any items lost within the lab area.
Policies covering books and other items borrowed or lent through the MERLIN and MOBIUS system.
- Posters in the Library:
Only posters/flyers for UMSL related activities which are open to the campus community will be posted on the windows in the entryway. Please bring the poster to the Administrative Office on Level 3 for approval.Posters:
- must be date-stamped and will be posted for a maximum of 4 weeks (or until the event has passed)
- must not be personal ads or campaign flyers
- must be approved and stamped by Student Life
- will not be larger than legal size paper (8.5 x 14")
Information on the Reserves area at the Public Service Desk
DO NOT, under any circumstances, leave laptop computers or any valuables unattended in the Libraries. The Libraries are NOT responsible for lost or stolen laptops, personal computers, their components, or any other items. UMSL has an important list of security & safety tips for all students, faculty & staff.
- Study Room Policies
Rules governing the use of the study rooms located on the 5th floor of the library.