11: Sociology, Schaefer, 1995-2012
See also: Michael
Down to Patterns
of Dominant/Subordinate Group Interaction
Culture and Learning
- Ideology justifies inequality--socialization.
- Dirty work
- Discourages questioning
- Impact of change-paternalism
- Ethnic Succession
- Use of resources in order to maintain
- Social problems
- Waste of Resources (especially
- Impact on international relations
- Sherif's--Robber's Cave
- Non-competitive, equal status
and common super-ordinate goals.
Prejudice: Attitude=> stereotypes
- Prejudicial attitudes
can be the foundation of an ideology which justifies unequal treatment. Denied
access to societal resources can lead to internalization of a sense of worthlessness,
and/or produce the reality of failure in competition for prized rewards. Failure
and a sense of worthlessness can then serve to justify the original prejudicial
attitudes, and the cycle begins again.
- This is the "Social
Construction of Reality"
- The reality of a "Self-fulfilling
- These patterns of interaction
can be "built in" to interactional patterns in various ways
Unprejudiced non discriminator:
Sources of prejudice:
Types of discrimination:
- U.S. 1954: Brown v Board of Ed.-Topeka
- 1964 Civil Rights Act--EEO, Affirmative
- 1987-expanded to ethnic groups
- Associate with own race
- No trouble shopping for
- Not followed in stores
- Not evaluated in racial
- Applies to categories
other than race
of Inter-Group (dominant/minority
A+B+C=A. Forced or voluntary; names, cultural practices-religion, Passing.
- Segregation: forced,
voluntary, and/or institutional. (Racial segregation in major American cities)
- Pluralism: A+B+C=A+B+C.
Equal status and tolerance. U.S.--religion, ethnic neighborhoods. Problem
- Amalgamation: A+B+C=D.
America the "Melting Pot" vs . The "Salad Bowl."
Back to Theories
Major Racial Groups
- 13.1% of population
- Poverty (1/3)
~1/2 whites (The Money
- 20% of military
- 25% of soldiers in the Gulf War
- Legacy of Slavery
- Dr. Martin Luther King-civil disobedience
- Malcolm X: Black Power
- Little Change past 30 years: Income,
Health (infant mortality), Education, Residence
- Criminal justice: 13% of current
drug users, 35% of arrests for drug use, 55% of convictions, 70% of incarcerations
- 1/3==> Middle-class, yet mobility
- Black politics: Urban change =>St.
Louis: Freeman Bosley, Jr.
- W. J. Wilson: The Underclass
- Infant Mortality (graph)
- 1.2% of population
- Diverse groups--Pan-Indian Movement
- Bleak--poverty, alcoholism, violence.
- BIA and schools--Wax: cultural
Asian Groups in the USA (see also, The Rise of Asian Americans)
- Less than 2% of population
- 1882 Exclusion Act
- Change since WWII
- 1% of population
- Recent arrival
- Nisei (3rd generation) and assimilation
- Internment and WWII
- Denial of rights
- very recent, esp. Vietnamese
- Asian-Americans: Model Minority
Major Ethnic Groups
- 16.7% of population: Since 2000
have become largest minority in USA
White Ethnics and
Owner: Robert O. Keel firstname.lastname@example.org
Credits for this Page of Notes
Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:01 PM