"The Amish: A Small Society"
(Amish Society, 1980)
Coleman's Gallery of Amish Photos
Focus on cultural variation within
The Amish as a distinctive Cultural
- "Folk Society" (Robert
- Viewed by its members- a separate
and independent cultural system.
The Amish as a Counter-Culture
- Interaction with State agencies
which seek to regulate their activities- especially Education.
The Amish as a Sub-Culture
- The sociological perspective
- Distinctive life style and values:
"Old ways are best, the new is the devil"
- Small community, limited mobility
- Homogeneity: Language
- Yet, a part of the larger Culture:
A few links:
to the Lecture
Owner: Robert O. Keel email@example.com
Credits for this Page of Notes
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:34 AM