If you attended a college or university outside of the U.S., you may be eligible for transfer credit. Follow the steps below in order to have your foreign coursework reviewed for credit at UMSL. 


STEP 1 – Apply for undergraduate admission

The transfer credit process can only be initiated for students who have been admitted to UMSL. Prospective international students can apply here.

STEP 2 – Submit course descriptions and final, official transcripts

Evaluations can only be done based on an official, final transcript. Students who were enrolled at another university at the time they applied to UMSL will need to submit a final transcript.  If a degree or credential was conferred, the degree certificate(s) must also be included.

Official course descriptions are required for this process. Documents that have been created or translated by students are not acceptable.

NOTE: Documentation that is submitted as a part of the transfer credit process becomes a permanent part of the student's academic file. Original documents cannot be returned.

STEP 3 – Transfer credit evaluation

Transfer credit evaluation can begin after you have been admitted and have submitted official course descriptions and final, official transcripts. The International Academic Advisor then forwards the course descriptions to the appropriate department for review.  Higher level courses and courses that can be applied to the student's UMSL major must be evaluated by individual faculty members.  The evaluation process can be time consuming and may take 2 months to complete.

If you are a new student registering for your first semester at UMSL, you will want meet with your academic advisor to register for classes.  The advisors will be able to help you select suitable courses while you wait for your transfer credit to be evaluated.

STEP 4 – Degree Audit Reports

We recommend running a Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) report, which will show where transfer work has been applied toward your degree requirements. You can view and print your own DARS report using the My DARS Report link in the Academic Toolbox on your MyGateway page.

If you need help generating or interpreting the report, click on the "Help" link located at the right hand side of the top of the Audit menu page. Should you need further information, visit the DARS website.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need to get a credential evaluation report?

    UMSL conducts its own evaluations of foreign transcripts; however, students applying to the BSN program will need a credential evaluation report.

  • I have an extenuating circumstance that prevents me from obtaining an official transcript. What do I do?

    In circumstances where students are unable to obtain an official transcript, we will accept a "course-by-course" evaluation from World Education Services (WES).

    Before ordering a WES report, students should discuss their situation with staff in International Student & Scholar Services.
  • What is a course description?

    A course description is a detailed description of what topics were studied in a course. For the purposes of foreign transfer credit, a course syllabus works best. Descriptions should be received inside a school envelope, emailed to ISS from the issuing institution, printed from an official school website, or photocopied from a school catalogue. A sample course description is below: 

    • ANTHRO 2035 Ancient Greek Civilization and Culture (3)
      A survey of the history, language, literature, art, science and philosophy of the ancient Greeks from prehistory to the Roman conquest. It covers the glamorous Minoan-Mycenaean civilization, the rise of a classical Greek civilization and the golden age, the history of the city states such as Athens and “Sparta, and the Hellenistic period under Alexander the Great and his descents. Examines the nature of the ancient Greek language, surveys literary classics such as the Illiad and the Odyssey, and describes the archaeology of Greek myths based on the ongoing UMSL archaeological project in Greece. Discusses the rise of humanism, the ancient Olympic Games, and the legacy of ancient Greece in Western civilization.

  • How can I appeal a transfer credit decision?

    Appeals are carried out in coordination with the International Academic Advisor and faculty evaluators. Generally, if a course has been evaluated by the designated faculty member and a decision has been made, the student must supply additional information in order to have the course reviewed a second time.

  •  Can graduate students transfer credits?

    The process outlined above is for undergraduate students only.  Graduate students seeking transfer credit from a college or university outside of the U.S. should refer to the Academic Policies for Graduate Study section in the UMSL Bulletin