International Transfer Credit
Airport Pick-up Request
Accept Your Offer of Admission
Campus Email and SSO ID
Employment and Internships
International Education Week
International Education Day
J-1 Visiting Scholar
Permanent Residency Info
News & Updates
Curricular Practical Training
CPT is an F-1 work authorization for on-campus or off-campus internship employment directly related to your field of study
If you will be participating in an on-campus or off-campus internship, paid or unpaid, you must be approved for CPT before you begin your internship.
In order to be eligible for full-time or part-time CPT students must:
1) Have a qualifying academic basis for the CPT (degree requirement, internship, co-op);
2) Have spent a continuous academic year in good F-1 status;
3) Be in good F-1 status at the time of the application for CPT;
4) Not be on academic probation; and
5) Be otherwise eligible for the internship/practicum.
Part Time vs. Full Time CPT
Part-time CPT - Spring, Fall, or Summer. Unlimited basis with no penalties until completion of the degree program (as long as eligibility requirements are met).
Full time CPT - Summer only.* Students who have used 12 months or more of full-time CPT are ineligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
*For students who are required to participate in full time CPT to fulfill degree requirements in Fall or Spring, please request your Academic Advisor when completing the Advisor Form to explain the academic necessity for full-time employment.
When can I participate in CPT?
Earliest – After one year of being an F-1 student in your degree program
Latest – Your final semester at UMSL
CPT is only available during your program of study. All requests for CPT must be within the program dates listed on your I-20.
Come to an OPT Workshop to learn more about this opportunity and get your questions answered!
|Session||Session Date||Session Details|
|CPT Workshop||Wednesday, February 28, 2018||
|CPT Workshop||Thursday, April 5, 2018||
3:00 PM-4:00 PM
|CPT Workshop||Wednesday, April 25, 2018||
For questions, please contact Rebecca Kehe.
Should I attend?
- If you are an F-1 student and want to apply for CPT, you must attend a session.
- Any interested F-1 student may attend to learn more about CPT
What will be covered in the workshop?
- CPT overview
- how to apply for CPT
- the regulations that apply to F-1 students on CPT
What is the timeline?
Applications must be submitted at least 2 weeks before you are scheduled to begin your internship. Please note that you cannot begin any work or training until:
1. Your CPT application is approved
2. You have your CPT I-20
3. The start date listed on your approved CPT I-20
Where can I find more information about CPT?
Contact us in MSC 261, email@example.com, or 314-516-5229.