While ISS assists with immigration matters, students must consult with academic advisors in order to register for classes and plan their degree programs.
Undergraduate Students

Undergraduates should contact their colleges to locate an advisor and register for classes. Click on your college's name below for more information:

College of Arts and Sciences                    College of Business     
College of Education (OASIS)                   College of Fine Arts and Communication 
Joint Engineering Program                       College of Nursing                          
School of Social Work

Graduate Students  

Graduate students are advised by either staff members or program directors in their home departments. To locate your advisor, refer to your admission letter from the Graduate School or consult the information on your department’s webpage.

Enrollment Restrictions

When registering for classes with your academic advisor, be sure to remember the following:

  • F-1 and J-1 students must maintain full-time enrollment in order to comply with visa regulations. Undergraduates must enroll in at least 12 credit hours per semester, 9 of which must be taken in a classroom setting. Graduate students must enroll in at least 9 hours per semester, with at least 6 hours taken in a classroom setting. Generally speaking, you should avoid online courses and take face-to-face classes as much as possible.
  • You must receive a letter grade (A, B, C, D, or F) for a course to count towards the minimum credit requirements. Grades of W, DL, EX, and FN will not be included in your total credit hours for the semester.
  • International students cannot take composition classes online. All composition courses at UMSL must be completed in a classroom setting.
  • EAP courses noted as "required" cannot be dropped from your schedule (unless you are a visiting/exchange student). "Recommended" EAP classes are not mandatory, though students are encouraged to enroll in them. Refer to UMSL's EAP Policy for more information.