International Student and Scholar Services

J-1 Travel


Back to J-1 visa

Travel Outside the US
When preparing to travel abroad for less than 5 months, it is important to ensure entry to another country and reentry to the US. Depending on the country to be visited and the student's nationality, there may be the need to apply for a visitor visa. Contact the nearest consulate of the country to be visited for specific information.

In order to return to the US, a student must have: a valid passport or travel document, valid visa and an IAP-66. Furthermore, page 4 of the IAP-66 must be signed by the RO.

Travel to Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands, other than Cuba, for less than 30 days, does not require a valid J-1 visa in some cases. For full information see the International Student and Scholar Advisor.

Travel Within the US
No special permission is needed, but as always it is important to have a valid passport, IAP-66 and I-94.