Welcome to Teaching in Honors
To: Honors College Faculty
From: Sherry Gerrein, Administrative Assistant
314-516-5243 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: August 5, 2011
Welcome to the Pierre Laclede Honors College 2011 Fall Semester! If you taught for us last semester, you may already have much of the following information. For those who are new or for a reminder, please note the information. We are in the process of staffing our new Office Support Staff II position, so in the meantime, please contact me for assistance.
Here are a few guidelines for the upcoming semester:
- Contract or Pay Issues: If you have any questions regarding compensation, contracts, etc., please feel free to contact me. As a reminder part-time salaries are paid as follows: Fall - 4 equal pay periods, Spring - 5 equal pay periods.
- Offices and Office Hours: I am attaching a form for contact information and office hours. We will be posting a complete list of all office hours and locations of offices. If you will hold office hours on the north campus, please make note of that on the form. Please return this form to me as soon as possible. We have also attached a list of Office Assignments for full time staff and those who are teaching multiple classes. If you need a key to your office, I can help with that, too. If you do not have an office in the Honors College, but would like a place for conferences with students, please see Nancy Gleason.
- Computers: If the computer or printer in your office isn't working properly, please ask me for assistance. Any IT Service requests must be approved in advance by Nancy Gleason.
- Telephones: I can provide you with the password to access Voicemail on the phone in your office. Please let me know if the outgoing message or password needs to be changed.
- Building Concerns: In an effort to consolidate service requests, please notify me of any problems with your classroom or office (temperature control, water leaks, etc.) and I will contact facilities services.
- Mailboxes: Mailboxes for all Honors faculty are located in the front office.
- Parking: Faculty members are provided with parking passes. Your pass from last year, will be good through October. I will let you know when to register your car online for a new sticker. Faculty without passes should register online and will receive a temporary pass until the new passes are available. For more information, please visit the parking and transportation website. If lot JJ (nearest to our building) and Parking Garage KK (down by the College of Nursing) are full, parking is available by the Barnes Library and in front of Marillac Hall (near the Metro-link station). The shuttle from the main campus can also be useful for those from the north campus. Parking does "settle down" after the first few weeks of the semester.
- MyGateway and MyView: MyGateway is our online course management system. If you are new and are not on MyGateway or do not have an email address, please ask me for assistance. MyView is our Student Information system, and also the place you will post grades. Other Faculty Resources can be found here.
- Syllabus: Digital copies are preferred. Please submit those to me by Friday, August 26, 2011. Thank you in advance. The College asks that you place your syllabus on MyGateway for your course. If you would like any assistance with the construction of your syllabus, you may see Nancy Gleason, Bob Bliss, or Dan Gerth.
- Text Issues: If you have any problems with textbooks or desk copies, let me know.
- Copying: We have a copy machine in C106 you may use. Complete the copy request form and place the originals in the tray labeled 'To be copied/scanned' which is located on the shelf above the desk on the left side of the copy machine. If you have a large copy item, I can send it across campus to our Printing Services department. I can also make copies of items you send to me electronically. Please allow 48 hours for copy requests.
- Scanning: I have a scanner on my desk for Honors College scanning. Complete the scan request form and place the originals in the tray labeled 'To be copied/scanned' which is located on the shelf above the desk on the left side of the copy machine. If you require scanning from a book, copy the pages first, and place the copies with the scan request in the tray. Please allow 24 hours for scan requests.
The faculty resource center is also available for scanning documents. You must provide ample time for the center to do it and the online reservation form may be found here.
This form can be filled out and submitted along with the materials needed to complete your service request. You can either drop off the form at the Faculty Resource Center or campus mail the form along with the material to FRC, 105 Express Scripts Hall.
- AV Equipment: We have five stick classrooms, which are LeGras, Seton, Seton 19, C209 and C307. There is a portable smart cart located in room C309. All other classrooms have TV-DVD units available. Please see me for the remote controls for the TV and return the remotes at the close of your class. If you are assigned room C309, please see me regarding the computer arrangements for that classroom.
- Absences: Please call or email me if you must cancel your class, and I will be happy to post the cancellation, along with any notes you might want to make regarding the class. Please use MyGateway to announce any unplanned absences to your students as well.
- Library Usage: Once your paperwork is process through Human Resources, the library will receive a list of names to grant library privileges. There may be a slight delay after the start of the semester before the list is processed. Be sure to bring your UMSL ID card to check out materials.
If you have a question not addressed above, please let me know. I look forward to working with you this semester. Again, welcome to the college!