Steps to Apply
Named Scholarships for Future Students
Academic Advising and Course Registration
The Honors Certificate
Faculty and Staff
Welcome to Teaching in Honors
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the Honors College
Bohnenkamp Scholarship Fund
Alumni Trivia Night
Directions to Honors College
Welcome to the Honors College
To: The Honors College Faculty
From: The Honors College Administrative Staff
Date: August 1, 2015
Welcome to the Pierre Laclede Honors College 2015 Fall Semester! Below we are highlighting helpful guidelines for the upcoming semester. Since the two of us work together on serving the needs of the office, we have marked who you can see for what needs you might have, but generally, we are both here to assist you!
The Administrative Staff:
Sherry Gerrein – M-F 8:00-5:00 – 314-516-5243 or email@example.com
Pat Sanders – M-F 8:30-3:00 – 314-516-4890 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contract or Pay Issues: If you have any questions regarding compensation, contracts, etc., please see Sherry. As a reminder part-time salaries are paid as follows: Fall, 4 equal pay periods; Spring, 5 equal pay periods.
- Offices and Office Hours: We are attaching a form for contact information and office hours. Please return this form to Sherry as soon as possible. If you plan to hold office hours on the north campus, please make note of that on the form. We have also attached a list of Office Assignments for full-time and part-time faculty. If you need a key to your office, please see Sherry or Pat. (Note: you may have office mates, but their classes are scheduled for different times than yours.)
- Computers: If the computer or printer in your office isn’t working properly, please ask us for assistance. Any IT Service requests must be approved in advance by Dan Gerth.
- Telephones: A generic message has been put on your office phone. We can provide you with the password to access Voicemail if you wish.
- Building Concerns: Please let Sherry or Pat know of any problems with your classroom or office (temperature control, water leaks, etc.) and we will contact facilities services.
- Room Requests: If you need to reserve a room other than your regular classroom (including the Honors College Kitchen and Libraries), please contact Pat or Sherry for assistance.
- Mailboxes: All Honors full-time and part-time faculty members have mailboxes located in the Honors College Administrative Office. Please check your mailbox periodically for important paperwork, such as Enrollment Verification forms and Evaluations.
- Parking: Faculty members are provided with parking passes. If you taught at UMSL last year, your parking pass will expire at the end of October. Please register your car(s) online at this web site: https://apps.umsl.edu/webapps/ITS/vehicle_registration/login.cfm. You will receive a temporary pass until the new passes are available. Parking is available in lot JJ (nearest to our building), along Laclede Lane (as posted), and in Parking Garage KK (near the College of Nursing). Additional parking is available in Lot XX (north of the Villa Building) and Lots WW and VV (in front of Marillac Hall near the Metro-link station). Parking does “settle down” after the first few weeks of the semester. If you unexpectedly drive an unregistered vehicle, you can print a 1-day temporary parking pass at this web site: https://apps.umsl.edu/webapps/ITS/emp_temp_parking/login.cfm.
- MyGateway and MyView: MyGateway is our online course management system. If you are new and are not on MyGateway or do not have an email address, please ask us for assistance. MyView is our Student Information system, and also the place you will post grades. Other Faculty Resources can be found at: http://www.umsl.edu/technology/tsc/facstaffres.html
- Syllabus: The Honors College requires that you place your syllabus on MyGateway for your course. In addition, please submit a digital copy to Sherry by Friday, August 28, 2015. Thank you in advance. If you would like any assistance with the construction of your syllabus, you may see Nancy Gleason or Dan Gerth.
- Text Issues: If you have any concerns regarding text books or desk copies, please see Pat.
- Copying: We have a Xerox copy machine in C106 you may use. You may also complete the copy request form and place the originals in the tray labeled ‘Copy Requests,’ located on the shelf across from the copy machine. If you have a large copy job, we can send it across campus to our Printing Services department. We can also make copies of items you send to us electronically. Please allow 48 hours (2 business days) for copy requests. We are understanding, though, and will try to help out in a pinch.
- Scanning: There are 3 options for scanning material: 1) Sherry has a scanner on her desk for Honors College scanning. Complete the scan request form and place the originals in the tray labeled ‘Scan Requests,’ which is located on the shelf above the desk across from the copy machine. If you require scanning from a book, please copy the pages first, and place the copies with the scan request in the tray. Please allow 24 hours (1 business day) for scan requests. 2) You can also scan and send to your email using the Xerox Copier in Pat’s Office. Please ask one of us if you need assistance. 3) The faculty resource center is also available for scanning documents. You must provide ample time for the center to complete the scanning, and the online reservation form may be found at: http://www.umsl.edu/technology/frc/servicesreq.html
- A special note about copying & scanning: Due to copy cost, please try to put as much reading material online for students using MyGateway rather than making hard copies for everything.
- Absences: Please call or email Sherry and Pat if you must cancel your class, and we will be happy to post the cancellation, along with any notes you might want to make regarding the class. Please use MyGateway to announce any unplanned absences to your students as well.
- UMSL ID Card: TritonCards are processed in the University’s TriotonCard Office, 190 Millennium Student Center, 314-516-8680. http://www.umsl.edu/tritoncard/
If you have a question not addressed above, please let us know. We look forward to working with you this semester. Again, welcome to the Honors College!