Small is a really big place
(local stories in blue*)
Outline of a 15 Nov 2006 talk for the
Series sponsored by the Academy of Science - St. Louis
at the Saint Louis Zoo Living World. This was adapted also
for 3 Feb 2007 Saturday Scholars talks in O'Fallon & Edw
Illinois for HS's across St. Clair & Madison Counties.
- What does the title mean?
- MultiScale thinking
- Convergent disciplines: Bio-Nano/Astro/Info
- Size Powers of Ten
- MultiScale Size: Help wanted if you have neurons to spare.
- What is Nano and Where is it Happening?
- A digital microscopy exercise for the audience.
- From quantum dot meds thru biomimicry to happy socks.
- One driver of this: New hands & eyes for small size:
- electrons & tips / aberration-corrected scopes,
- wide applicability but high cost =>
- MultiScale Perspectives in Size:
Nanodetective Adventures in Missouri's nanoWorlds
- gravity & inertia for macro,
- electrostatics & touch for micro,
- reaction area & quantization for nano.
Forward and Back in Near Time and Far
- Nano-iron & ico/micelle self-assembly*
- Next generation processors & memories in silico*
- Nanofiber & tube gymnastics*
- Extraterrestrial materials esp. circumstellar dust
in labs on earth*
Mid-Talk Reality Check
- Presolar grains and
- Chaisson's Cosmic Evolution
Correlations from Small to Large
- Brownlee & Ward's Rare Earth
- Forward & Back in MultiScale Time
- Invention's Natural History & Future
- MultiScale Complexity
- Ed Jaynes & Mutual
- Steady-State Excitations & Replicable Codes
Spectacle Transition: Neolithic to MultiScale
- Layered Niche Networks & Multiplicity
- MultiScale Values & Media Oscillations
- Short (Energy/Heat) & Long (Climate) Challenges
- Beyond Nurture - The MW Nannite
Our final nanoFrontier might be
Milky Way itself.
- respect for
types focused in/out from the
edges of body, family, and culture.
- eyes peeled for selfish ideas and genes.