The Hazardous Materials (HazMat) section of the Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Department coordinates the safe handling, use, storage, and disposal of chemical wastes, as well as other hazardous substances for the UMSL campus only. Others should only use information herein at their own discretion.
Application of a dizzying variety of laws, regulations, guidelines, insurance requirements, and other considerations, including developing knowledge, can be overwhelming for the everyday user of hazardous materials. EHS HazMat considers all of these factors when designing policies and offering its services to the campus. Many laws require lengthy documentation of information which can only come from the actual user, and must be accurate.
Campus users are expected to follow established procedures and policies issued by the EHS office, with respect to all types of hazardous material. Federal law imposes individual liability on ANYONE creating or handling hazardous material, even after it has left their possession.
EHS HazMat will escort all hazardous material regulatory representatives while on campus.
Services provided by Hazmat include:
- Chemical/Bio waste consolidation and disposal
- Redistribution of usable surplus chemicals
- Fume hood testing and certification
- Determination of hazardous waste
- Chronic odor investigations
- Universal Waste management
- Proper labeling and packaging of OUT-bound HazMat
- Serious chemical spill emergency response
- Registration of Select Agents with CDC
Fume hood repairs are done by Facilities Maintenance.
Links to Info On:
Frequently Asked Questions: