Environmental Health and Safety
Fire Emergency Safety & Response
In Case of Fire:
- Get out immediately and close the door behind you. Once out, you should report the fire. Call 911 or 5155 from any campus telephone for emergency assistance.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm.
- Warn other building occupants of the nature of the danger. Begin evacuation of the building by the nearest safe exits. Contain the fire by closing as many doors as practical. Do NOT lock doors.
- Assist mobility-impaired persons to an exit if safe to do so. Do NOT use elevators in evacuations. Immediately inform 1st responders of locations of mobility-impaired persons unable to exit on their own.
- If you can manage the fire on your own, and have the training to combat the fire, use a fire extinguisher. Do not endanger yourself or others.
- Move as far away from the building as possible and report to your supervisor or a predetermined rally point. Do not leave the immediate area until you have been accounted for!
- Provide information to emergency response personnel on what you saw, how many persons may be in the building and their location, if known.
- Follow the instructions of the emergency response personnel.
- Immediately evacuate the building. Activate a fire alarm if you pass one en route.
- Call Campus Police at 516-5155. Inform them of the situation and provide as much information as possible.