About the Center
Test Transmittal Form
What to Bring to the Test
ACT Residual Test
Math Placement Test
About the ALEKS Assessment
Interpreting Your Results
Math Course Prerequiste Information
The Proctored ALEKS Exam
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to take the ALEKS assessment if...
After the ALEKS Assessment
Immediately after completing the ALEKS assessment, you will be shown a pie chart which indicates your % score (Placement Results) on the ALEKS assessment. You can log back in to ALEKS to view your Placement Results at a later time.
If you achieve the score at or above the prerequisite level for an UMSL math course, you will be able to enroll in that course through MyView within two business days of completing the ALEKS assessment. Your academic advisor will also have access to the ALEKS score within two business days.
Keep in mind that ALEKS assessment scores expire after approximately 11 months. Students must have a valid minimum ALEKS assessment score by the date listed below for a given semester in order to remain in a course.Valid dates for ALEKS assessment scores:
- for Spring courses: ALEKS assessment scores dated 2/01 or later of the previous year
- for Summer courses: ALEKS assessment scores dated 7/01 or later of the previous year
- for Fall courses: ALEKS Assessment scores dated 8/01 or later of the previous year
What Math Course am I Eligible to Take?
After you have completed the ALEKS assessment, please visit the page below to determine what Math course you are eligible to take:
Also, consider the following:
- Have you earned the minimum score needed to register for your desired course? If so, determine your next step from the list below:
- If you are an incoming student who has not yet attended new student orientation, you do not need to take any additional steps. Your adviser will assist you with your math course registration during your orientation.
- If you are a returning student, you may log in to MyView and enroll in your math course for the upcoming semester. (Note that it takes approximately 2 business days after completion of your ALEKS assessment for MyView to recognize your ALEKS score as a valid prerequisite.)
- If you need any assistance with registration, please contact your academic adviser.
- Do you wish to retake the ALEKS assessment to try to improve your score? If you plan to retake the assessment, you should spend some time reviewing before you repeat the assessment. You have access to a 6-week Prep and Learning Package through ALEKS which you can use to review and study. Log into ALEKS to begin using the package.
- Do you plan to take the Proctored ALEKS Exam in order to demonstrate Math Proficiency? If so, please visit the Proctored ALEKS Exam page for more information on how to enroll for the exam.
- Do you have questions about what Math course is appropriate for you to take? Please contact your academic adviser for guidance about your mathematics course placement.