Mathematics Course Placement
Students who are enrolled for current or future terms will be included in the MyGateway Organization named Student Math Placement to provide access to the ALEKS online math placement test. ALEKS is also accessible to newly accepted students and all other undergrads through here:
ALEKS Placement Test
In order to qualify to take a Math department course at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, students must have one of the following:
You will login to take the assessment online through the MyGateway Organization or the link above and on the right, and there is no fee or registration required. In case you are not satisfied with your score on the ALEKS assessment, you will be given the chance to take the assessment up to five times. In addition, there is a free online study/review package that you can use to review and prepare for the ALEKS assessment and your upcoming math course at UMSL. Your subscription is provided free of charge for six months. If you do not achieve a desired score, there will be a charge to re-subscribe. In most cases, your score assessment will determine your math course placement.
Do I Need to Take the ALEKS assessment?
To determine whether you are required to take the ALEKS assessment, use the following guidelines:
- Determine what Math course(s) are required for your intended major. If you are uncertain about the requirements, check with your major department or in the University course catalog.
- Do you have credit for the required course(s)? (Credits earned from UMSL or from transfer/dual/AP/IB credit.) If you already have credits for the required course(s), then you will not need to take the ALEKS assessment.
- Do you have credit for the prerequisite course(s)? (Math 1030 equivalent credits earned from transfer/dual/AP/IB credit.) It is recommended that you take the ALEKS assessment in order to determine whether you are prepared for the next level Math course you plan to take.
Still not sure? Check with your academic adviser to find out more, or just go ahead and take the ALEKS assessment to have a score on record. The assessment is online, and you can take the assessment up to five times for free.
What are the Deadlines for Completing the ALEKS assessment?
- If you are an incoming freshman/transfer student for Fall 2014, please complete the ALEKS assessment at least 2 business days prior to your New Student Orientation/ Transfer Student Orientation.
- If you are a returning student, please complete the ALEKS assessment by the following dates:
- For Spring, Summer or Fall 2014 classes: at least 2 business days prior to registration for a Math course.
Please note that it takes 2 business days for your ALEKS assessment score to be recognized as a valid prerequisite in MyView.