Before you go:
- Determine whether you can walk in or make an appointment.
- Make an appointment with your advisor via MyConnect, telephone, or email.
- Prepare a list of questions and/or concerns you would like to address in the advising session.
- Review the Bulletin, UMSL’s description of programs, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Obtain and bring completed transcripts from other educational institutions, placement test results, advanced credit decisions, etc.
- Bring a list of courses that interest you and are relevant to your major
- Familiarize yourself with important dates.
- Be prepared to describe strengths and goals as well as barriers that prevent you from achieving your goals.
- Be ready to interact in the decision-making process.
After the appointment:
- Follow through with suggestions, referrals and resources.
- Keep a record of your academic progress, including notes from advising meetings, DARS reports, and other documents reviewed at the meetings.
- Work to develop a mutual relationship with your assigned advisor by scheduling appointments.
Reviewed and updated November 2015