Kiener Plaza was one of several projects connected to the massive urban renewal projects that changed the face of St. Louis during the administration of Mayor Raymond R. Tucker. Located in the heart of downtown St. Louis, Kiener Plaza and the adjacent Morton D. May Amphitheater command a dramatic view of the Old Courthouse, and the Gateway Arch. Kiener Plaza was erected upon St. Louis City Block 114, the former site of Laclede hotel and Senate Theater. This plaza was erected as a memorial to Harry J. Kiener (1881-1960). He was an amateur sportsman and member of the U.S. track team at the 1904 Olympics held in St. Louis during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. The Plaza's centerpiece is a pool and fountain containing a statue known as "The Runner" by sculptor William Zorach.