Ninth and Lucas Streets Construction Date: 1958- 1960 Architect: Unknown
The Off-Street Parking Commission first introduced plans for the Ninth and Lucas parking garage in early 1958. A new parking garage was considered more desirable than a parking lot because the vertical levels allowed for more parking spaces, while using the same amount of land. The parking garage was an outgrowth of a Commission parking study in 1956, which found that St. Louis was in need of at least six thousand new parking spaces downtown. These spaces were necessary to alleviate the parking difficulties that many drivers experienced when traveling downtown. Workmen began constructing the fifteen-story garage in October 1958 and completed it in December 1960. The garage was built and operated by a private company.