Photo by Nathan Westhoff

Address:
1627 Washington Ave.

Construction Date: 1907

Architect:
Albert B. Groves

Drygoodsman Building

The Drygoodsman building, built in 1907, was designed by architect Albert B. Groves and named for one of the tenants, Drygoodsman, a popular clothing magazine. Standing at eight stories, the building houses two stair cases and 6800 square feet of floor space, while the outside consists of red brick construction. There is a single door in front, along with some decorative art above the second and eighth floors. In 1915, Forest City Manufacturing rented out the 6th floor and set up shop. The company would expand to occupy floors 4 through 6 by 1925.

At the time of the garment workers strike in 1935, the building primarily housed Forest City, with the exception of the Singer Sewing Machine Company on the 3rd floor. Over the next twenty years, the building tenants stayed the same, except that several new tenants started to rent space including the W. G. Woodward Company and the Jack Grobman Restaurant. Between 1953 and 1954, Forest City moved out of the building, and for a while the floor that had housed it remained vacant. As the year 2000 approached, Washington University renovated the building to house 26 student lofts and the Des Lee Art Gallery.