Source:St. Louis Mercantile Library
George C. Post
The Statler chain had architect George C. Post design the Statler Hotel at 822 Washington in 1917 to be St. Louis’s premier luxury hotel. At twenty-two stories and 235 feet in height, it was the tallest building codes at the time allowed. For its first two decades, the Noonday Club—a men’s-only luncheon club of some of the richest and most powerful men in St. Louis--met in its two-story colonnaded ballroom atop the hotel with its commanding view of the Mississippi. With three restaurants on the first floor and a vaulted lobby that served as a passageway from Washington to the Orpheum (later American Theater), it attracted business from St. Louis residents as well as out-of-towners. In 1954, Conrad Hilton purchased the Statler chain, and in 1958, changed the name of all the Statler Hotels to Statler Hilton Hotels. Renamed the Gateway Hotel in 1966, it was closed in 1987 for renovations but sat empty for years. It has since been renovated and incorporated into the Renaissance Grand Hotel adjoining the convention center. During Prohibition, it was the site of numerous raids. At one party, it was alleged that uniformed police officers served beer to people including the owner of the Cincinnati Reds baseball team.
Best Viewed in 1024 x 768|
For questions regarding the 1800s: email@example.com
For questions regarding the 1900s: firstname.lastname@example.org