Step 1: Apply for Admission - Application is Free for Veterans & Servicemembers

For Transfer Students: 

  • Request official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning in which you have attended previously.
    • Send transcripts to: Office of Admissions, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 1 University Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63121-4400. 
  • For more information about transferring to UMSL, visit the Admissions for Transfer Students website or contact this office at (314) 516-5162.


NOTE for currently serving applicants:  UMSL is a proud signer of the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (the DoD MOU).  If you intend to use a DoD education benefit (Federal or State Tuition Assistance) you must start this process with your unit Educational Service Officer (ESO) or your military counselor

Service-specific information on TA applications and processes can be found at:


the AirForce Virtual Education Center,

the USCG Education and Training Management Command, or

the Navy/Marine Corps Education Center.

Step 2: Request Military Transcripts

  • As a military-friendly school, UMSL will evaluate your military transcript for academic credit. In most cases, course credit may be given for military technical training when the credit recommendations are similar to courses offered at UMSL.
  • Send official transcripts to the Office of Admissions at this address: Office of Admissions, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 1 University Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63121-4400.
  • Please visit our Credit for Military Service page for more information. 

Step 3: Apply for GI Bill Benefits

  • Review eligibility for all GI Bill Chapters.
  • If you qualify for both Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bills, please call our office BEFORE applying for benefits online.
  • Apply online for GI Bill Benefits at or find more info on Vocational Rehabilitation.
    • After submission, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail within 3-4 weeks.  
    • Bring a copy of your COE and DD-214 (member 4 copy) to the Veterans Center, 211 Clark Hall

Step 4: Admitted? Confirm Enrollment and Sign-up for Orientation

Congratulations! You're once step closer to earning your degree at UMSL!

  • Confirm Enrollment
    • This process must be completed before you can register for classes.
    • Visit the online form to confirm your enrollment and pay the $50 confirmation fee.
      • Transfer students can defer this fee to their student account and it will be covered by GI BIll. Select the "defer payment to student account" option on the payment page.
      • First-year students will need to pay the fee and receive reimbursement once the GI Bill is applied to your student account. If this creates a financial hardship, call the New Student Programs office at 314-516-5291 to have it manually deferred to your student account.
  • Sign-up for 2018 Orientation
    • New first-time students are required to attend the day-long New Student Orientation in-person
    • Transfer students may complete the online orientation or attend the 1/2 day Transfer Student Orientation
    • Veteran sessions (one hour) are available on the following 2018 Orientation dates:
      • New Student Orientation (for students with less than 24 college credit hours) - Sat, June 23rd
      • Transfer Student Orientation - Sat, Jan 13th, Fri, July 13th, and Sat., Aug. 11th
  • Sign-up for the Veterans Center's Fall 2018 Veteran, Military, & Family Onboarding Event!
    • Friday, August 17th, 2018, 9am - 1pm
    • This event is exclusively for military-connected students and will include an introduction to UMSL Veteran & Military Services, GI Bill benefits, Tuition Assistance, UMSL Technology, and a walking tour of campus. Come meet staff, current student veterans, and community partners who care about your success at UMSL!
    • Please note: This event does NOT fulfill UMSL's orientation requirement for new or transfer students. This is a separate orientation designed for military-connected students.


Step 5: Meet with Academic Advisor to Register and Complete Enrollment Data Form (EDF)

  • Contact your academic advising office to schedule an appointment. View contact info.
  • **At your advising appointment, ask your advisor to sign and submit your completed UMSL Enrollment Data Form (EDF) to the Veterans Center, 211 Clark Hall.
    • An EDF must be completed EACH semester in which you wish to receive benefits. Be sure to bring the EDF Form with you when speaking with your advisor or you will not receive benefits.
  • Sign-up for our 1-credit hour Veteran-Specific Orientation Course (MVS 1100)
    • This veteran-only elective is designed for incoming freshmen and transfer student veterans. The purpose is to introduce veterans to campus resources, enhance study skills, and explore major and career options. This class is covered by GI Bill and can be taken in place of other first-year experience or university studies courses.

Step 6: Apply for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) and Scholarships

Step 7: Contact Disability Access Services

  • Disability Access Services (DAS) offers individualized, appropriate accommodations and services to ensure full and equal participation in all education opportunities. Services are private and confidential. 
    • To learn more, contact DAS at 314-516-6554 or visit their website.
    • Location: 144 Millennium Student Center