Frequently Asked Questions
Windows Live Pilot FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What will my email address be? SSO ID@mail.umsl.edu
2. Will my current university supplied email still work during the pilot?
Your previous university email account will still be accessible during the pilot, but it will receive no new email (that will all go to your Windows Live Mail account) and it will not be able to send email.
3. I have personalized my university email address. Will my personalized email still work during the pilot?
The Windows Live system will use your personalized email address with mail.umsl.edu as the suffix.
4. Will the password be the same as my UMSL password?
No, the Windows Live system will require you to create a new password just for that system.
5. Will I be able to share my calendar with others?
You will be able to share your calendar with other Windows Live Mail users.
6. Will I have to deal with advertisements on this service?
There will be no ads in the Windows Live Mail service while you are a student. However, you will see banner ads when you graduate.
7. How do I get help during the pilot?
If you need help, please post on the discussion board. Since this is a pilot, we expect many questions. We will use this information to create documentation. Microsoft provides support for Windows Live at http://outlookliveanswers.com/forums/. If you still need help, please call the Technology Support Center at x6034 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Why are we partnering with Microsoft instead of another vendor?
Microsoft currently offers the University the most features including the global address book, tools and assistance required to offer this service to our students.
9. Will my existing mail be moved to the new Windows Live email address?
At this point, you will move all email and contacts from your current mailbox to your new one. There is no automated way to do that. We wish there was! If something changes we will let you know.
10. What does the University expect of me during this pilot?
We need you to be honest with us about your experiences using the service as well as notify us of any problems you encounter. As a pilot user, your experiences and feedback will have a major impact in how the service is eventually rolled out to all students. So, make sure you contact your campus help desk with issues and also respond to any surveys about the service we may have a need to send out.