Outlook Express Setup for Exchange Mail
Note: these instructions may be adapted for setting up Outlook Express to work with email on jinx. Please substitute references to "webmail.umsl.edu" with "jinx.umsl.edu".
This page will assist you in configuring Microsoft Outlook Express (Version 5.0 and up) to work with your Exchange account. The Technology Support Center recommends upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express from Microsoft's Internet Explorer Home Page.
Configuring Outlook Express
- Open Outlook Express, click Tools, then Accounts.
- A box titled Internet Accounts will pop up. Click Add,
- Enter your name and click Next.
- Enter your e-mail address in the box.
- Select type IMAP for the incoming mail server. For
the incoming server name, enter webmail.umsl.edu
- If you are dialed up through UMSL dialup, enter webmail.umsl.edu for
the outgoing mail server.
NOTE: If you use another ISP, you will be able to send mail only to umsl.edu addresses unless you use your ISP's SMTP server.
- Click Next
- Enter your SSO ID.
- Enter your password in the password box. If you uncheck "remember
password", you will be prompted to enter your password every time
you check your mail.
Click Next, and click Finish
- From the Internet Accounts box, click Close.
- You should now see an entry in the folder list that says "outlook.umsl.edu". Click on this icon and select Yes to download the folder list.
To check your Exchange mail, you may click on the Inbox located under outlook.umsl.edu (This is not the same as the Inbox located under Local Folders)
You may then click on your messages and read them.
Warning: The files that you see listed are the messages that are currently stored on the server. Clicking Delete will mark the message for deletion. Once you purge the messages, they will be permanently deleted from the server.