Cellular Telephone Policies and Procedures
The University of Missouri-St. Louis has established policies and procedures for cellular telephones. The campus policies have incorporated the UM System policies found in section 1205 of the Business Policy Manual.
Employees of the University of Missouri-St. Louis whose University activities necessitate use of a cellular phone may be assigned a University phone or may be reimbursed for business use of a personal phone. Departments should consider the non-compensatory business reason for providing the employee with a cellular phone, which could include:
- The job function of the employee requires considerable time outside of his/her assigned office or work area, and it is important to the University that he/she be accessible during those times.
- The employee is a critical decision-maker, and the job function of the employee requires him/her to be accessible outside of scheduled or normal working hours.
- The employee is designated as a “first responder” to emergencies and safety requirements indicate having a cellular phone as an integral part of performing his/her job duties.
- The employee supports or is otherwise responsible for programs, services or systems that necessitate frequent and immediate communications throughout the day or after-hours.
The employee’s department is responsible for determining whether a cellular phone is needed and for ensuring funding is available to pay for the phone and services. The employee or department should:
- review current university contract information
- complete Request Form for University Owned Cellular Phone.
- obtain approvals.
- acquire phone and service from a telecommunications company under contract with the University (service plan must be based on anticipated business need/usage);
- print, sign, and send a copy of attachment received via email from completed Request Form for University Owned Cellular Phone to 451 ESH Attn: Telephone Services.
- monitor usage and service plans.
- perform annual review of all University owned cellular phones to verify and document justification. Per BPM-1205, the need for a University cellular phone must be reviewed at least once a year to verify and document that a University phone is still justified. Telephone Services will send a request for annual review to the department contact listed on the Request Form.
- send any changes to plan or changes in inventory to 451 ESH Attn: Telephone Services.