Before Moving In

  • Can you tell me about the on-campus housing process?
    • Students must first be accepted to UMSL.
    • Once accepted, you and your student can apply for on-campus housing. To complete the application process, you must submit an online application and the $25.00 application fee will automatically be charged to your student account. If it's more convenient, applications and contracts can also be submitted through the office during normal business hours.
    • Residential Life and Housing will then mail a contract which you and/or your student will need to sign and return to us.
  • When will rooms assignments and roommates be known?
    • Returning students will receive their residence hall assignment prior to leaving for summer break. New students will receive their room assignment and roommate information via MyHousing before August 1. Information regarding move-in and move-out dates can be found here.
  • What should students bring for their residence hall room?
    • Please review our list of items students should and should not bring to their residential hall.
  • What happens on Move-In Day?
    • On Move-In Day, your student must have their UMSL Student ID and all the required forms. Without their ID, Residential Life and Housing cannot grant them access to the building and their room. Please note that IDs must be obtained and activated at least three days prior to move-in.
    • Once you and your student have checked in, the next step is meeting with your RA and filling out a room inventory.
    • When completed, you can begin moving everything in.

Oak Hall's "The Suite Life"

  • What are the dimensions of the resident's rooms?
    • Room dimensions vary by layout and location of your student's room. Typically, room size is 10' x 10' (LxW). Rooms are furnished with an XL twin mattress and bed frame, desk and chair, dresser, armoire, mini-microwave, mini-refrigerator and freezer unit. Check out our virtual tour to see the specifics.
  • Are lofts available?
    • Yes. They are available at move-in through the Residential Hall Association (RHA). More information about lofts will be available at move in. To see what the loft looks like check out our virtual tour.
  • Can room assignments be changed?
    • Residential Life recognizes that occasionally residents are matched with roommates with whom they do not feel compatible. If this occurs, your student may request a room change through their RA and the Hall Director after an initial waiting period of two weeks at the beginning of each semester. The ability to change a room is dependent upon available vacancies.
  • What if students get locked out of their room?
    • Locked out student can go to the 24-hour desk in Oak Hall where they can check out a back-up key to their room. However, if they lose the key, it will cost $110 to replace the key and ring set. For more information, please see our Community Guide.
  • Where can my student do their laundry?
    • In Oak Hall, there is a 24-hour laundry facility on the first floor. There is a change machine, single-use laundry detergent dispenser, etc. The cost to wash is $1.00 and it's also $1.00 to dry a load.
  • If I need to send my student mail or a package, where should I send it to?
    • Please address all mail and packages to: Resident's Name, Hall and Room/Suite Number, One University Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63121. For more information regarding mail services, please click here.
  • When does my student need to leave the residence hall for break?
    • Fall Break
      • Students are not required to leave the residence halls during Fall break, however if they do, they should plan on returning the Sunday evening prior to classes.
    • Winter Break
      • For Winter Break, all residents should be out of the building by 12pm on December 14, 2012. If a student has forgotten an item in their room, they will need to contact Residential Life and Housing's Office to be escorted through the building, as their ID access will be disabled. Residents may return to their rooms at 12pm on January 18, 2013. Classes will resume on January 22, 2013.
    • Spring Break
      • Students are not required to leave the residence halls during Spring break, however if they do, they should plan on returning Sunday evening prior to classes.
    • Summer Break
      • Residents who do not have a specific summer contract to stay during the summer must check out with their RA by 12pm on May 11, 2013.
    • Academic Calendar
  • What happens at Move-Out in May?
    • On Move-Out Day, your student must completely vacate and check out of their room with their RA by the specified time. For more information, see the Community Guide or check out the move-out information site.

Meal Plans

  • Who is the food service provider?
    • The University of Missouri-St. Louis food service provider is Sodexo.
  • Can we change the meal plan we initially chose?
    • Yes, your student can come to our office to select a different meal plan option. The university's bill will be adjusted after the change has been made.
  • Where can I find out more information about my student's meal plan?
    • More specific information can be found here.

Parking and Transportation

  • Can students park their vehicle on campus?
    • Yes, all students, regardless of housing status, can park their vehicle on campus as long as they have an UMSL-issued parking sticker. Students can purchase these from the Cashier's Office in the Millennium Student Center.
  • Can I park on campus while visiting my student?
  • How does my student get around campus without a vehicle?
    • There are a variety of transportation methods for residents.
      • First, they can always walk to class or to other side of campus. It takes less than 15 minutes and sometimes you even beat the shuttle.
      • Secondly, there is the campus shuttle which runs back and forth between the campuses.
      • A third option is the free Metrolink and Metrobus pass each student receives.


  • What are the biggest academic adjustments during the freshman year?
    • Learning to discipline oneself and manage time are critical adjustments. Though college classes may meet only every other day, or once a week, the workload is still challenging. It is suggested that the student spend two hours of studying for every one hour in class, balanced with study breaks. Luckily, there are a wide variety of campus departments, tutors, and mentors who can help your student make those adjustments.
  • How can a student get help if they’re struggling with academics or a certain class?
    • If a student is struggling in a class, they should first schedule an office meeting with their professor. They can discuss challenges, note-taking and test-preparation methods, and tutoring possibilities. The professor can help the student decide if they should continue or drop the class. In addition, other resources are available such as the Center for Student Success and Oak Hall's very own Peer Mentors
  • Making the Transition to College: A Guide for Parents
  • Transition to College: Separation and Change for Parents and Students

Billing and Financial Aid

  • Does Residential Life and Housing provide scholarships?
    • Yes, upon admission to the university the student will be notified if they qualify for a residential scholarship.
    • As well, Residential Life and Housing offers an essay competitive housing scholarships are available to new and returning residents through. Scholarship applications are due by July 1st and are awarded by availability.  For more information, please contact the main office at 314-516-6877.
    • Please check out the Office of Financial Aid for other scholarship options.
  • When is my student’s account billed for Residential Life charges?
    • Students accounts are typically billed one to two months prior to the start of a new semester.  All university charges to a student’s account can be view by the student through MyView.  Once logged in, students need to click the Self Service tab, then Campus Finances, and finally Account Inquiry.  Under Account Inquiry, students can view all charges to their student account.  Parents can view their student’s accounts by becoming an authorized payer.  For more information, please contact the Cashier’s Office.

General Questions

  • What is the alcohol policy at UMSL?
    • For more information regarding this policy and others, please visit the Division of Student Affairs. Typically, any student aged 21 and older is allowed to consume alcohol within the privacy of their own room. Other conditions do apply. Violation of the policy will result in disciplinary action.
  • Are there computers and Internet connections on campus?
    • Yes, student computer labs are located in a variety of locations throughout campus. Oak Hall residents have access to the free wireless network in Oak Hall, can head to the closest computer lab in the Honors College or walk a little further to the Ward E. Barnes Library on South Campus.
  • What should my son or daughter do if they get sick?
    • If a student’s illness lasts one or two days, they are responsible for notifying their instructors regarding missed classes. Any illness extending three or more days should be assessed by University Health, Wellness and Counseling Services. Health Services provides screening of medical conditions and referrals to either our on-staff physician or local medical providers. In most cases, there are no fees for student visits to Health Services. If there is billing for minor procedures or prescriptions, the student's account will be billed.
Have a question that is not answered here? Please feel free to contact the Office of Residential Life at 314-516-6877.