The Office of Residential Life and Housing at the University of Missouri-St. Louis is committed to providing on-campus housing and maintaining a learning environment that encourages academic success, student engagement, personal growth and personal responsibility.
History of South Campus
In 1976 the university purchased the former Marillac College south of Natural Bridge Road and thus acquired the cornerstone of what would become the South Campus. The 1990s was a decade of rapid growth for the campus with the addition of the dormitory, chapel, and administration buildings of the Sacred Heart Sisters, which afforded on-campus living for the first time in UMSL's history. The Passionist Fathers’ Retreat Center was also acquired, adding more dormitory rooms for residential students. The University Meadows, a gated student apartment complex was built in a public/private partnership, which utilized undeveloped land adjoining the South Campus.
The Kathy J. Weinman Building was funded by private donations and now houses the Children’s Advocacy Center and the Center for Trauma Recovery. In 1999 the Provincial House buildings of the Daughters of Charity were added, and in 2002 the Normandy Hospital building was acquired, bringing the South Campus complex to 44 acres, more than 20 buildings, and 1000 residential units. The South Campus is home to the Pierre Laclede Honors College; the College of Education; the Barnes College of Nursing and Health Studies; and College of Optometry with its on-campus Eye Center, which serves the community as well as University of Missouri-St. Louis employees.