Frequently Asked QuestionsCirculation
- How do I get a library card?
- How do I check out materials?
- How many books am I allowed to check out?
- How much do I pay if I lose a book?
- How long can I keep a book?
- How can I get a book that someone has checked out?
- What are reserves?
- How do I check out materials on reserve?
- How many reserve materials may I check out at one time?
- May I take a reserve materials out of the library?
- May I renew a reserve materials that I have checked out?
- What are the late fees for reserve items not returned on time?
- Do I have to return reserve items back to the Circulation desk?
- May I place a hold on materials that are already checked out by another patron?
- How do I find materials placed on reserve by my instructor?
- Who is eligible to request items?
- How can I request an item?
- What type of items can I request?
- What's the difference between MERLIN/MOBIUS and Interlibrary Loan requests?
- Is there a cost for Interlibrary Loan requests?
- Why do you ask for so much information?
- What if I don't have all the information needed?
- How does the ILL process work? How long will it take?
- How can I check on the status of an item?
- How was the due date determined? Can I renew an item?
- What are my delivery options?
- How do I request materials?
- Can I request UM-St. Louis books through MOBIUS?
- How long may I keep books checked out through MOBIUS?
- How many books may I have checked out through MOBIUS at a given time?
- How do I know when the materials I requested via MOBIUS have arrived?
- May I renew MOBIUS requests?
- What is the Library's policy about loaning laptops?
The University of Missouri-St. Louis Libraries provide a limited number of laptop computers for use by students in the Libraries. The laptops are configured with Microsoft Office and Windows 7, Internet Explorer and several accessory programs. The laptops provide access to the UMSL's web-based resources, e-mail and the Internet. The privilege of access is governed by UMSL's Acceptable Use Policy. You may view this policy at: http://www.umsl.edu/technology/policy/acceptable.html
- Who is eligible to use this service?
Laptops may be checked-out by current UMSL students who have a valid University ID card and must be current in the Libraries' circulation system; laptops will not be loaned if there is a delinquent charge on the student's circulation record. Students may check out laptops for use in the Libraries for a two hour period, students may renew laptop loans for one additional two-hour period. Laptops MUST be returned to the Circulation Desks in order to be renewed. Students must also know their MyGateway username and password to gain access to the Libraries' electronic databases and MyGateway accounts.
- When are laptops available for check out?
Laptops are available for checkout when the Libraries are open and MUST be returned to the Circulation Desks before the Libraries close each evening.
- How can I check out a laptop?
Laptops must be checked out in person from the UMSL Libraries' Circulation desks. A valid UMSL ID card is required for laptop check out.
- What is the check out period?
Laptops may be checked out for two-hours of in-library use and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Laptops MUST be returned to the Circulation Desks in order to be renewed. Depending on equipment availability, students may renew laptop loans for one additional two-hour period. The checkout period will be adjusted accordingly for laptops checked out less than two hours before the Libraries close. All laptops MUST be returned before the Libraries close.
- What happens if the laptop is returned after the time it is due?
If a laptop is not returned when it is due, the student will be charged an overdue fine.
- What if assistance is needed with using applications on the laptop?
The Student Assistants at the Library Research Commons will assist students with computer-related questions.