UMSL Logo 2005-2006 Bulletin

Graduate Study

The Graduate Faculty sets Graduate School policies in the Bulletin. Students should be aware that their programs might create rules and policies that are above these minimum university-wide requirements.

The University of Missouri-St. Louis admits qualified individuals to study for graduate degrees and certificates. Students with a bachelor's degree or the equivalent from an accredited college or university may apply for admission to the Graduate School. Applicants may be denied admission if (a) they do not meet admission standards, (b) there are no available openings, or (c) applications are incomplete at the time of the decision.

To receive graduate credit at the University of Missouri-St. Louis students must have been admitted to
the Graduate School as Degree-seeking, Graduate Certificate or Non-Degree seeking student.

Degree-Seeking or Graduate Certificate Students
Applicants for a degree or graduate certificate program at the University of Missouri-St. Louis submit an application, official transcript documenting the baccalaureate degree, scores from examinations required by the program, and other evidence of academic and professional preparation required by the program. Such evidence may include standardized test results, letters of recommendation, transcripts of all academic work attempted, and writing samples.

When there are openings for new students, applicants are normally admitted given official evidence of (a) a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education, (b) an undergraduate grade point average (G.P.A.) and major field G.P.A. of 2.75 or above, (c) an acceptable score on each requisite examination, and (d) satisfactory additional materials required by the particular program. The dean of the Graduate School may approve applications, given a positive recommendation from the unit.

Students who are unable to provide all materials required for admission may be admitted provisionally. An approved provisional student may enroll for one semester or summer term only. The courses taken provisionally will apply in the regular way to a degree or certificate program. When all admission materials have been received, the unit may recommend regular or restricted admission or denial to the dean of the Graduate School.

Because admission to doctoral studies is limited to those of demonstrably superior academic ability, doctoral students normally are not admitted as restricted.

Non-Degree-Seeking Student
Students may apply for status as Non-Degree-seeking graduate students if they are visiting students, they do not intend to pursue a degree, or they want to participate in graduate workshops or institutes. Applicants must provide an official transcript showing completion of a baccalaureate or higher degree, with a G.P.A. of 2.5 or greater.

The dean of the Graduate School admits Non-Degree-seeking students only upon recommendation of the unit.

A Non-Degree student must maintain a G.P.A. of at least 3.00. A Non-Degree student wishing to take more than nine hours may be allowed to do so contingent upon departmental recommendation.

Students wishing to change from Non-Degree to Degree-seeking must submit a new graduate application for review and approval by the unit and the dean of the Graduate School.

Course work completed by Non-Degree students is not regarded as work toward a degree program. Therefore, Non-Degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid. The maximum hours of Non-Degree status work that can be applied to a degree program is nine semester hours. No credits taken as Non-Degree status may count as part of the residence requirement for a degree.

Since Education Certification students take courses for state Department of Education certification, they do not need departmental approval to take more than nine hours. However, all other conditions regarding admission and registration that apply to Non-Degree students apply to Education Certification students.

Traveling Scholars and Inter-University Graduate Exchange Students
There are two avenues for students to take graduate courses at UM-St. Louis without apply for admission

  1. Traveling Scholars are graduate students at one of the other University of Missouri (UM) campuses.
  2. Inter-University Graduate Exchange students are Washington University and St. Louis University students who enroll on the home campus for UM-St. Louis courses not offered on their own campus.

Degree-seeking graduate students at the UM-St. Louis campus may also participate in these programs, if their requests are approved by their advisors and the Graduate School.

Unclassified Students
Students who are not qualified for admission to the Graduate School may be considered for undergraduate admission to UM-St. Louis as Unclassified Students. Unclassified Students are considered Post-baccalaureate, are not admitted to the Graduate School, may not take graduate-level courses, and do not receive graduate credit. Credits earned by an Unclassified Student may not later be considered as graduate credits should the student subsequently be admitted to the Graduate School.

Enrollment in Off-Campus and Continuing Education Courses
Students who have been admitted to the Graduate School may enroll in off-campus graduate courses without further application.

Students with a baccalaureate degree who have not been admitted to the Graduate School must be approved for admission as a Non-Degree graduate student to take Continuing Education courses for graduate credit.

Admission of International Students
International students must meet the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. In addition, international students whose native language is not English and who have spent less than two of the last three years in an English-speaking country are required to submit scores from an internationally accepted standardized examination before a decision is made on admission.

Teaching assistantships will be awarded only to students with demonstrated oral English proficiency.

When it is not possible for a student to take the required examination for reasons beyond personal convenience, the unit to which the student has applied may develop alternate ways for that particular student to demonstrate English language competence prior to admission. The Graduate Dean must approve such alternative metrics.

Applicants from other countries shall provide a summary of their educational experience as a basis of comparison of their backgrounds
with those of U.S. applicants. They shall also provide a statement of their financial situation and of the anticipated form of support for the period of graduate study.

Students who have been admitted to the Graduate School may enroll in classes in any term within one calendar year after admission.

To remain in good standing, students shall enroll for at least one term each calendar year. Students not meeting this enrollment requirement will become inactive and be required to reapply. If students reapply and are readmitted, they will be subject to all regulations in effect at the time of readmission.

After they achieve candidacy, Doctoral students must enroll each fall and spring semester until the degree is completed.

International students on student visas must enroll fulltime for each fall and spring semester.

Fulltime Study
The minimal fulltime course load is nine credit hours for a regular semester and/or five credit hours during the eight-week summer session.

Graduate Equivalent Hours
In calculating credit hours for full-time enrollment, students may seek approval for the following semester hour equivalents:

  1. Three equivalency hours for holding a 0.5 FTE Graduate Teaching Assistantship or Graduate Research Assistantship; up to two equivalency hours for appointments between 0.25 and 0.49 FTE.
  2. Three equivalency hours in the semester the student is preparing for comprehensive examinations. This semester hour equivalency is allowed for a maximum of two semesters.
  3. Eight equivalency hours after achieving candidacy. This semester hour equivalency is allowed for a maximum of eight semesters.
  4. Participation in approved required out-of-class experiences in specific programs. Please see your advisor for the approved list.

During the regular semester, students may not enroll in more than 12 hours. Normally no more than three credit hours may be taken in any four-week period.

Heavier than normal loads may be permitted by the Graduate Dean, upon recommendation by the unit, for a) students whose cumulative UM-St. Louis G.P.A. is substantially above the program average; and b) students in good academic standing for whom an overload of one course will permit them to graduate during the term in which the overload is taken.

Degree Program Plans
It is expected that graduate students will consult regularly with their advisors to plan a course of study that ensures timely completion of the requirements.

At least half of the credits for both master's and doctoral degree plans must be from 5000-level courses and above.

Within the major department, students normally may not take a 3000-level course for graduate credit. However, outside the department, a 3000-level course may be taken for graduate credit with the approval of the students' advisors. Advisors must seek approval from the instructor, who may assign additional work commensurate with each student's graduate status.

Courses numbered from 0 to 2999 may not be taken for graduate credit.

No course applied to an undergraduate degree may be allowed in that student's graduate degree.

Credit for Courses Taken Prior to Enrolling in a Graduate Program at UM-St. Louis
Transfer credit shall be granted only for approved graduate courses for which a grade of at least B-, or equivalent, was achieved from an accredited institution.

Degree credit may be allowed for up to three credit hours for institutes, workshops, clinics, and Continuing Education courses only if offered by an appropriately accredited institution of higher education. Only such courses that award a letter grade may be applied to a graduate degree.

Students may transfer up to 18 hours of work on a Graduate Certificate Program Plan to a Master's or Doctoral Program Plan, if the unit granting the degree approves the transfer.

Credit for Courses Taken at Other Universities After Enrolling in a Graduate Program at UM-St. Louis
Graduate students admitted to UM-St. Louis must petition in advance to take courses at another institution and apply the credit toward a graduate degree at UM-St. Louis.

With prior approval, regularly admitted graduate students are permitted to take a course not offered by UM-St.Louis at Washington University, St. Louis University, or Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville.

Time Limitation
The maximum time allowed for completion of a master's degree is six years after the first course enrollment. The maximum time allowed for completion of a doctoral degree is eight years after the first course enrollment. Graduate work completed outside these time periods may not be included in the degree program except under extraordinary circumstances and then only after petition to and approval by the dean of the Graduate School. An exception to the time limitation may be approved in advance with an authorized leave of absence.

Leave of Absence
Graduate students who are forced to interrupt their studies for a period of one or more years should request a leave of absence from the university. In consultation with their advisors, students shall define the program modifications that the leave of absence requires. Requests shall indicate the reason for leaving and the expected date of return to the university. Approval of the dean of the Graduate School is required.

The leave of absence is designed to suspend the requirement for continuous enrollment. It does not affect the maximum time limitation set for a degree program unless a specific exception is approved.

Undergraduate Enrollment in 5000-Level Courses
Under special circumstances Undergraduate students in good standing at UM-St. Louis may enroll in 5000-level courses for undergraduate credit. Approvals from the advisor, department chairperson, academic dean, and dean of the Graduate School are required. In rare cases, students subsequently admitted to the Graduate School may petition for graduate credit for 5000-level courses that they took as undergraduates, as long as those courses were not applied to their undergraduate degrees.

Class Attendance
Only students who have previously paid fees may attend a class. Instructors are not authorized to allow students to attend classes if fees have not been paid. Students may not register and pay fees after the prescribed dates.

Enrolled students may preregister for the next term during regular preregistration periods. Registration is not complete until all university fees are paid.

Petitioning Into or Out of a Course
Students must receive the approval of their adviser and the course instructor to enroll in or withdraw from a course after registration.

Entering a Course in Progress
Students wishing to enter a course in progress must have the approval of the instructor and their adviser. Only under exceptional circumstances may students enter courses after the first week of the semester.

Dropping a Course
Students may drop courses before the end of the fourth week of a regular semester or the second week of the summer session without receiving grades. At the end of this period and until the end of 12 weeks (or from the third through the sixth week of the summer session), students may withdraw from courses with "Excused" grades providing they are passing the course and have the approval of the instructor and their adviser. Otherwise, a grade of F is given. Students who stop attending classes without officially dropping courses also receive grades of F.

The registrar will furnish transcripts of credits to a student upon written request. Transcripts are furnished to students' parents or guardians or other parties or institutions only if students have filed written consent with the registrar. There is a charge per transcript. Students transferring to another University of Missouri campus may ask the UM-St. Louis Director of Admissions to furnish a transcript to the Office of Graduate Admissions at the other UM campus.

Requests for transcripts by organizations either financially supporting a student or with fee compensation programs are not honored unless the student has filed a consent form with the registrar, authorizing the release of such records.

Transcripts are not issued to or for students who have financial obligations to the university until those obligations are paid in full.

Academic Policy

Academic Policy Grades
Faculty teaching graduate courses have complete discretion in assigning grades.
Point assignments for grades are as follows;

A = 4.0 A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C- = 1.7
F = 0  
EX = Excused  
DL = Delayed  
IP = In Progress

The Graduate School does not recognize a D grade for a course carrying graduate credit. Therefore, grades lower than C- are recorded as F. The satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) option, which is an option for undergraduate students, is not available in any courses for graduate credit.

Students who stop attending classes without officially dropping courses receive grades of F.

Students may enter courses as auditors but may not change from audit to credit or credit to audit after the first week of class. Auditors are charged full fees and receive no academic credit.

Delayed Grades
Delayed grades may be given when a student's work is of passing quality but is incomplete because of circumstances beyond the student's control. Although delayed grades do not affect a graduate student's grade point average, they are an important factor in evaluating academic progress. Delayed grades must be removed within two regular semesters after the time recorded or they automatically become F grades. In such cases, course instructors may subsequently change F grades to other grades on their progress in a sequential course and indicate that a grade will be assigned at the end of the sequence.

In-Progress Grades
When a course extends for more than one term and the student's performance is deferred until the end of the final term, provisional grades of In-Progress may be assigned in the intervening terms. The In-Progress grade represents progress in a sequential course and indicates that a grade will be assigned at the end of the sequence. In-Progress grades do not count toward earned hours. No credit is awarded or grade points assigned until the sequence is completed and a permanent grade is entered replacing the In-Progress grade(s).

In-Progress grades maybe given in thesis or dissertation research. Additionally, the Graduate Council my approve the In-Progress grade for specific internships, practica, or project courses that allow at least six months for completion. In no case will an In-Progress grade be given for other graduate research or internship experiences. Instead, students will be given a Delayed grade if work is not completed during the semester that the course is taken.

In-Progress grades are left on the student's record until the committee and dean of the Graduate School accepts the thesis or dissertation and the research advisor or internship director submits the final regular grade. At that time, the grade point average will be calculated to award the same grade for all hours taken in the In-Progress grade.

In the event that the full sequence is not completed as scheduled, the Registrar shall replace the In-Progress grade with the Delayed grade when the instructor has no basis for assigning a grade for the term(s) completed.

Graduate Grade Appeals
In case of disputes regarding grades, graduate students shall follow the university Grade Appeal Process.

Grade Point Average (GPA)
UM-St. Louis calculates three types of G.P.A. At the end of each semester, the term G.P.A. is calculated on the courses attempted that semester. The cumulative GPA on the transcript includes all courses taken at UM-St. Louis for graduate credit figure, including courses that may not be a part of the degree program. The degree program GPA includes only the grades of those courses that are part of the degree program. The degree program GPA must be at least 3.0 for a student to receive a graduate degree.

Any course work transferred from other universities, including other UM campuses, will not be included in any GPA calculation.

Failure to make adequate progress jeopardizes a student's potential to complete the degree and their financial aid. To provide students notice of inadequate progress at the end of each semester, graduate students with a cumulative GPA below 3.0 in a minimum of nine credit hours are placed on probation. A program may also place a student on probation if faculty regards the student's progress as unsatisfactory. The Graduate School will inform students of their probation by letter, with copies sent to the graduate director of the program, the Graduate Admissions Office and Financial Aid.

If at the end of the probationary semester the cumulative GPA is at least 3.0, the probationary status is removed. A probationary student who fails to raise the cumulative GPA to 3.0 may, on the recommendation of the program, be allowed a second probationary semester. A student is subject to dismissal upon failure to raise the cumulative GPA to 3.0 by the end of the second probationary semester, or at any time a semester or cumulative GPA falls below 3.0.

A student who is on probation for more than two semesters during his/her program of study will be dismissed, unless the dean of the Graduate School approves an exception request for continuation from the advisor and/or graduate director. Upon recommendation of the unit, the Graduate School may dismiss any graduate student who does not make adequate progress. The Graduate School is responsible for sending dismissal letters to students, with copies sent to the graduate advisor, the graduate director of the program, the Graduate Admissions office, and the Financial Aid Office.

Master's Degree Requirements

Each master's degree program determines any eligibility standards beyond the minimum for admission to the Graduate School.

All master's degree students shall be enrolled for credit for access to university resources, including advisement, data gathering, or examinations.

Full-time status for all graduate students is defined as at least nine credit hours of course work. Individual units may require higher enrollments.

Credit Requirements
A minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate credit is required for all master's degree programs. Units may require a greater number of hours for their programs.

Residence Requirement
The final two-thirds of the courses in a master's degree program must be completed in residence at UM-St. Louis.

Time Limitation
All courses included in a master's degree program, whether taken at UM-St. Louis or at another institution, shall have been completed within six years after enrollment in the first course.

Credit From a Certificate Program
Students who have completed course credits in certificate programs may transfer such credits into a master's degree program with the unit's consent, as long as the credits fall within the time limitation set for master's degrees. If the master's degree is in a different unit from that awarding the certificate, then no more than one-third of the credits from the certificate program may apply to the master's degree. Multi-disciplinary programs may seek programmatic exceptions to this limit when the program undergoes the approval process.

Dual Master's Degrees
With approval of the unit and the Graduate School, students who have completed one master's degree may transfer appropriate credits to a second master's degree program. The number of transferable credits may not exceed one-third of the credit hours required by the second program. Subsequent transfers to a third degree are not permitted.

With approval of the units involved and the Graduate School, students may simultaneously pursue two master's degrees under the following conditions:

  1. No more than one-third of the credit hours required by either program may be applied to both programs;
  2. Students must obtain approval of both units before completing 12 hours in either program.

Multi-disciplinary programs may seek programmatic exceptions to the one-third limit when the program undergoes the approval process by addressing specific allowable transfers between those two degree programs.

Master's Degree for Doctoral Students
Doctoral students may receive a master's degree in their unit for work they have completed toward to a doctoral degree. The unit establishes the requirements for such a master's degree. However, the requirements should, in principle, be similar to those for master's degrees offered by the unit. Doctoral students may also receive a master's degree for work they have completed toward to a doctoral degree in another unit provided (a) they apply no more than two-thirds of the master's degree courses to their doctoral degree program; (b) they have been admitted to the master's degree program; and (c) they have obtained the approval of the advisors from both programs and from the Graduate School. Credit from the master's degree must constitute less than half the total credits required for the doctorate.

Multi-disciplinary programs may seek programmatic exceptions to these limits when the program undergoes the approval process.

Filing the Degree Program
A master's degree student enrolled shall file an approved program plan with the Graduate School before completing the first two-thirds of the credit hours required in the program. Students may petition the dean of the Graduate School to change the degree program after it has been filed.

Comprehensive Examination, Scholarly Paper, or Exit Project
Each unit requiring a comprehensive examination for the master's degree informs the Graduate School of (a) the number of times the unit will allow its students to take a comprehensive examination, and (b) the period of time that the unit will allow between the first and final attempt to pass the examination.

Units recommend Graduate Faculty members to serve on committees for capstone projects. The Graduate Dean shall review and may appoint the committee.

Master's Thesis
Units recommend Graduate Faculty members to serve on committees for capstone projects. The Graduate Dean shall review and may appoint the committee.

Master's degree students who write a thesis must submit to the dean of the Graduate School one copy of the thesis by the posted university deadline, normally six weeks before the end of the term in which graduation is sought. The chairperson of the thesis committee is responsible for verifying that the final draft of the thesis is acceptable to the Graduate Dean and the thesis committee.

Students disseminate the thesis according to current Graduate School procedures.

Application for Master's Degree
To receive the master's degree, students who have met all degree requirements must apply for graduation by the end of the fourth week of classes during the fall or spring term or by the first day of the eight-week session during the summer term.

Doctoral Degree Requirements

Each doctoral degree program may determine eligibility standards beyond the minimum for admission to the Graduate School.

Credit Requirements
A minimum of 60 semester hours of graduate credit is required for every doctoral degree program. Units may require a greater number of hours for their programs.

Full-time status is defined as nine credit hours per semester. Units may require higher enrollments than this.

After students achieve candidacy and complete the residence requirement, they must remain enrolled during fall and spring semesters until the degree is completed. Failure to register in any regular semester will result in termination from the Graduate School. If students so terminated decide to reapply and if they are readmitted, they will be subject to all regulations in effect at the time of readmission, and will be required to enroll for at least one credit hour in each semester since their last enrollment.

When doctoral students are enrolled for research credit, the credit amount may vary, but the student must register for all work required, and the credit total may exceed the minimum requirements.

Classification of Doctoral Students
There are two stages in a student's doctoral degree work:

  1. A pre-candidate is a student who has requirements to fulfill in addition to the dissertation, including course work, language requirements, and/or comprehensive examinations.
  2. A candidate is a student who has met all degree requirements except the completion of the dissertation.

Time Limitation
The maximum amount of time allowed for completion of a Doctoral degree will be eight years after the first course enrollment.

The maximum of 12 hours of graduate credit completed as a post-master's degree student prior to admission to a doctoral program may apply toward a doctoral degree. Inclusion of such course work is subject to unit approval and must have been completed within eight years of the time the doctoral degree is awarded. Exceptions to this regulation must be justified on academically defensible grounds and approved by the Graduate Dean prior to filing the program.

When doctoral students have earned a master's degree at any institution, appropriate credits may be applied toward meeting the requirement for the doctoral degree, subject to unit approval. Such credits shall constitute less than half of the total credits required for the doctorate. For example, for a doctoral degree requiring 90 hours of work beyond the bachelor's degree, no more than 44 credits from a master's degree may apply to the doctoral degree. Credit for courses taken for a master's degree is exempt from the eight-year time limitation.

Residence Requirement
The majority of credits used to satisfy requirements for a doctoral degree must be completed in residence at UM-St. Louis. The residence requirement may be satisfied with dissertation credit hours, graduate institutes, and credit courses taken through Continuing Education, as well as regular courses.

Students who enter the Ed.D. or Ph.D. in Education degree programs with an Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree from an accredited university, or with an Advanced Certificate approved by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, may satisfy the residence requirement by completing one-third of the required credits at UM-St. Louis.

Residency normally requires that doctoral students successfully complete a minimum of 15 hours over two consecutive terms, which may include summer. The dean of the Graduate School may grant exceptions upon recommendation by the program.

Comprehensive Examinations
Each unit will determine the number of times a comprehensive examination may be taken by a student. The department or college must file with the Graduate School a statement specifying (a) the number of times the unit will allow its students to take a comprehensive examination, and (b) the maximum and/or minimum period of time the unit will allow between the first and final attempt to pass the comprehensive examination.

The Comprehensive Examination Committee will consist of no fewer than three members of the UM-St. Louis graduate faculty appointed by the Graduate Dean upon recommendation of the unit.

An oral examination may not substitute for the standard written portion.

Upon entering the program, each doctoral student will have an assigned program advisor who is a member of the Graduate Faculty. As early as possible in a doctoral student's program, but no later than when the student achieves candidacy, the unit will recommend, in consultation with the student, a doctoral dissertation advisor.

Application for Candidacy
Doctoral students may apply for candidacy after passing all required comprehensive and language examinations, written or oral, and successfully completing all course work.  

Doctoral Dissertation Committee
The Doctoral Dissertation Committee consists of at least four members of the Graduate Faculty who can contribute their expertise to the dissertation study: the committee chair, and at least one other member from the unit. A recognized scholar from outside the university may serve as a member upon the recommendation of the unit and approval of the Graduate Dean. The Graduate Dean reviews and may approve the committee membership and changes in the committee membership.

Dissertation Proposal
Before a student may conduct substantial research for the dissertation committee may approve a proposal after a formal defense. The student submits the approved proposal for review and approval by the dean of the Graduate School.

An approved dissertation proposal in no way implies a contract between the university and the student. Depending on the outcome of the research, the dissertation may require substantially more work than anticipated when the proposal was approved. The termination of a line of research and the adoption of a substantially new dissertation project requires the preparation, formal defense, and acceptance by the Graduate School of a new dissertation proposal.

Preliminary Approval
One copy of the dissertation, certified as complete and provisionally acceptable to the committee, shall be submitted to the Graduate Dean at least six weeks prior to commencement. The Dean of the Graduate School may seek advice and make suggestions to the committee about content and style before approving the dissertation.

Defense of Dissertation
Normally the approved Doctoral Dissertation Committee serves as the Oral Defense of Dissertation Committee. The Graduate Dean may appoint one additional qualified voting member to the Defense of Dissertation Committee from the Graduate Faculty within the University of Missouri System.

After deliberating on the oral defense of the dissertation, the Defense of Dissertation Committee votes on whether the defense was successful. The defense shall be deemed unsuccessful if there are two negative votes, even if outnumbered by positive votes. An abstention will be considered a negative vote. A student failing an oral defense shall have the opportunity for one additional defense before the same committee. The Defense of Dissertation Committee shall determine the timing and format of the subsequent defense.

Final examinations are open to the public.

The decision of the Defense of Dissertation Committee is final. The report of the final examination is due to the Graduate School no later than two days after the examination.

Dissertation Abstracts
Two different abstracts are required. UMI requires an abstract of a maximum of 350 words and is published with the announcement of the dissertation defense. The abstract forming the second page of the dissertation should be no more than 600 words.  

Dissertation Format
Only high quality copies are acceptable with the following margins throughout: left margin 1 ½ inches; top, bottom, and right margins, 1 inch. Final copies may be submitted electronically following current procedures on the Graduate School homepage ( ) or on paper. Original hard copies of the dissertation must be typed on good quality paper, and they must be legible and neat in order to be accepted by the Graduate School.

In matter of style and documentation, the custom of the discipline shall be followed.

The chairperson of the dissertation committee is responsible for verifying that all the changes suggested by the Graduate Dean and the dissertation committee have been incorporated in the final draft of the dissertation or have been discussed further with the Graduate Dean or the committee.

Students shall disseminate the dissertation according to current Graduate School procedures.

Graduate Certificate Program

Each graduate certificate program may determine eligibility standards beyond the minimum for admission to the Graduate School.

Credit Requirements
A minimum of 18 hours of graduate course work is required for a graduate certificate. At least 12 of these hours must consist of courses drawn from the list of core courses for the particular certificate program. At least 12 hours must be completed in residence at UM-St. Louis. At least nine hours must be at the 5000 level or above. No more than six hours may be independent study.  

Filing the Program Plan
A graduate student enrolled in a certificate program is required to file a degree program plan with the Graduate School before completing the first two-thirds of the number of hours required in the program. Changes made in a certificate program plan after it has been filed shall be submitted to the Graduate School.

Fees for Graduate Study
Detail information regarding current fees and residency regulations is furnished in the Schedule of Courses, distributed before each semester registration, available at the Registrar's office or on the web site:

The University reserves the right to change fees and other charges at any time without advance notice. By Board policy, students are charged fees according to their status, not by the level of the course. For that reason, students are charged graduate fees for all course work taken while they are classified as a graduate student.

Nonresident Students
A student who is admitted to the University as a nonresident must pay the Nonresident Educational Fee as well as all other required fees. The Residence and Education Fee Rules are available at:

The petition for a change of Missouri Resident Status is available at:

All questions should be directed to the Office of Admissions at (314)516-5451.

Final Semester Fee
Students must enroll on campus in the semester in which they graduate.

Thesis and Dissertation Fee
Graduate students must also pay a fee for the binding and microfilming of the thesis or dissertation.

Fees for Auditing Courses
Auditors are charged full fees and receive no academic credit.

Laboratory Breakage Fee
Breakage or loss of laboratory equipment due to personal negligence on the part of the student shall be assessed against the student when the actual value of the supplies exceeds $1. The amount of the charge shall be determined by the department chairperson.

Room and Board
The university offers many different rooms and board plans. For more information please contact the Office of Residential Life at (314)516-6877.

Student Insurance: International Students (required)
International Students in F-1 and J-1 status are required to purchase the health insurance policy offered through the university. Information regarding waivers, premiums, and coverage is available through the Office of International Students Services.

Student Insurance (optional):
An Accident and Sickness Insurance plan is available to students and their dependents. Information concerning premiums and coverage is available upon request from University Health Services. Graduate Assistants with half-time appointments are eligible for a subsidy of the insurance premium. To receive the subsidy, GTAs/GRAs (U.S. Citizens only) must enroll in the insurance program through the Graduate School.

Payment of Fees
Students received a fee payment schedule at the time of their registration. All fees are due and payable prior to the start of each semester. A minimum payment plan is available for students unable to complete their financial arrangements at the time of registration. A finance charge will be assessed on the unpaid balance of all students at the rate of 1 percent per month. All accounts will be billed using this method; therefore, it is NOT necessary that a student choose the minimum payment plan at the time the charges are incurred. Students with delinquent accounts will NOT be allowed to register in subsequent semesters.

Policy on Administrative Cancellation of Student Registration for Nonpayment of Educational Fees:
A registered student is required to remit payment of assessed fees by deadlines that are announced each semester. The University will cancel the registrations in all courses of students from whom the University has not received and processed either the full payment or the required minimum payment (a stipulated portion of the balance due after deducting approved financial aid) for assessed fees by announced deadlines.

Policies and Procedures Related to Cancellation of Student Registration

  • The University will make effors to notify any student whose registration is about to be administratively cancelled prior to taking this action.
  • On or before the last day on which a student may enroll in a course, a cancelled student's space in a course will be given to other students on that course's wait lists. The cancelled student will be placed at the end of the course wait list.
  • Any student who has been administratively cancelled for nonpayment of assessed fees may not enroll in a class unless the required fees have been paid.
  • Cancelled students who re-register on or after the first day of the semester will be assessed a nonrefundable late registration charge.
  • Once a student's registration has been administratively cancelled for nonpayment of assessed fees, that student may not attend class unless s/he has officially re-registered.

The University Reserves the right to modify by increase or decrease the fees charged for attendance and other services at the University, including but not limited to educational fees, at any time when in the discretion of the governing board the same is in the best interest of the University, provided that no increases can or will be effective unless approved by the governing board not less than thirty (30) days prior to the beginning of the academic term (semester, etc.) to which the fees are applicable and such increase does not exceed ten (10) percent over the fee level existing immediately prior to the increase, with all modification of fees to be effective irrespective as to whether fees have or have not been paid by or on behalf of a student prior to the effective date of the modification.

Personal Checks. Personal checks in payment of fees and other obligations to the university will be accepted only when the amount of the check does not exceed the amount due from the student. Any checks payable to the university which are returned unpaid will be assessed a $20 return check charge.

Credit Cards. Valid MasterCard, VISA, and Discover credit and debit cards are accepted toward payment of fees.

Quick and Easy Ways To Pay Fees:

  • Mail, using the mail-in coupon and envelope provided with the monthly statement.
  • Using STAR, from a PC in your home, work or campus. Payment can be made by credit card only.
  • In Person at one of the service windows at the cashier's Office.

Fee Assessment for Dropping Classes or Withdrawal
Fees are reassessed for students who officially withdraw from the University or who drop classes. It is the student's responsibility to formally notify the registrar's office and to follow proper procedures when withdrawing from the university or dropping a class or classes. Failure to receive financial aid or refusing financial aid does not constitute an official withdrawal from the university. Likewise, failing to attend class does not, in and of itself, mean a student has dropped a class. Refer to the appropriate sections in this publication for specific information about these procedures. Fees included in the reassessment are the Educational Fee, Student Activity Fee, Instructional Computing Fee, Special Course Fee (if applicable) and Parking Fee (if applicable). Such fees are reassessed and reduced according to the schedule published in the Schedule of Courses each semester.

Financial Assistance

Teaching and Research Assistantships
Most departments with established graduate programs offer teaching and research assistantships to qualified graduate students. Appointments are usually half-time and carry stipends. Students receiving. 5 FTE assistantships receive a tuition scholarship covering residential and nonresidential educational fees. Students with these assistantships must register for a minimum of 6 credit hours in semesters in which they hold the assistantship. Please consult the Graduate School website ( for other policies concerning graduate assistantships. Teaching or research assistantship appointments are made directly by the departments. Inquires and applications for assistantships should be addressed to the director of the graduate program of the appropriate department. Applications should be submitted no later than March 15 for the fall semester. Occasionally a few teaching assistantships are available for the spring semester. Interested students should contact the director of the appropriate graduate program as soon as possible.

Return to 2005-2006 Table of Contents          Course Schedules