Undergraduate Study - Registration

New Students
Upon admission to the university, students are notified that instructions will be sent by the Registrar's office before registration.

Former Students
Former students not currently enrolled must submit a reenrollment application to the Office of Admissions

Currently Enrolled Students
Currently enrolled students are given the opportunity to preregister, by appointment, before all other students. Students wishing to preregister for the next semester in a different division or school must complete a Change of Division form.

Students may enroll as auditors in any course with the prior consent of the instructor and dean of the school or college in which the auditors desire to be registered.  They may be dropped from the course when in the judgment of the instructor and dean their record justifies such action.  Auditors are charged full fees and receive no academic credit.

After the close of the preregistration-by-appointment period, all newly admitted or readmitted students are eligible to register. Students wishing to register for more than a normal course load must obtain approval from their dean.

UM-St. Louis Express
UM-St. Louis Express provides Missouri’s Senior Citizens (65 and older) easy access to undergraduate courses without limit on an audit (not for credit) space-available basis.  Graduate courses are not available through this program.  Students are subject to:  non-refundable $25 registration fee, parking fee, and course related fees.  Former UMSL Express students who reapply for the Program must again pay the registration fee.  Students interested in attending as an UMSL Express student may obtain a registration form from the Office of Admissions.  Students should complete and return the form with proof of age to the Office of Admissions on the day before classes are scheduled to begin or after.

Registration Cancellation
Students who have enrolled and paid their fees but do not wish to attend the university may cancel their registration any time before the first day of the semester. Cancellation forms may be obtained at the Office of the Registrar. For the refund schedule for cancellation of registration after class work begins, see the Schedule of Courses published each semester.

Enrollment and Academic Advising
Undergraduate students are admitted to the college, school, or professional school which offers the degree program which was declared on the student's application. Undeclared students, visiting students, and non-degree-seeking students are admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences. Students indicating a desire to pursue a degree in the evening hours are admitted to the Evening College.

The Advising Center, 225 Millennium Student Center, (314) 516-5300, provides advising for all undergraduate students, regardless of major.  Undeclared students are encouraged to declare a major as soon as possible since it is important to determine what specific requirements must be satisfied to complete the baccalaureate program.  Advisers in the Advising Center offer the following services to all undergraduate students: setting and planning academic goals, planning or changing a course schedule, withdrawing from school, placing a course on S/U status, petitioning for grade modification, applying for graduation, and making referrals as needed.

College of Arts and Sciences
All incoming undergraduate students are required to be advised in the University Advising Center in the Millennium Student Center. Students who have declared majors are encouraged to contact their major departments as soon as possible.

The 15 departments in the College of Arts and Sciences offer majors, minors, and certificates in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics and computer science, and the biological and physical sciences. Interdisciplinary programs are available in women's and gender studies, gerontology, labor studies, conservation biology, trauma studies, and more. The college also serves students with interests in the health sciences, pre-law, and pre-journalism. Information on these areas may be obtained in the Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs in the College of Arts and Sciences, 303 Lucas Hall.

Since there are specific requirements that each major must satisfy to complete a baccalaureate program, students are urged to declare their majors as soon as possible. This may be done at the time of application, or later in the Advising Center. Once a student declares a major, the department offering the degree will assign a faculty adviser and contact the student. The adviser, usually a faculty member in the student's area of interest, will assist in selecting suitable courses and advise the student in matters relating to degree requirements.

Students with specific concerns related to the specialized degree requirements of the college should consult with the academic departments responsible for their majors. Questions regarding transfer credit as they relate to a specific degree may be directed to the appropriate department. Students may contact the Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs in the College of Arts and Sciences by phone at (314) 516-5501 for clarification on any academic issues related to the division or by e-mail artscience@umsl.edu.

College of Business Administration
The College of Business Administration's office of academic advising has available a staff of professional academic advisers who provide assistance to students in planning their academic careers and in dealing with appropriate course selection, College of Business Administration requirements, general education requirements, evaluation of transfer credit, course prerequisites, school policy and regulations, and graduation requirements. Other matters related to a student's academic matriculation should also be directed to this office.

Prospective business students who are admitted to the Evening College should submit an official declaration of their major to that office. When they have completed 39 hours of credit, they will be assigned to the College of Business Administration for advisement.

Transfer students who have been admitted to the College of Business Administration should contact the advising office and plan to meet with an adviser early in the semester for an evaluation of transfer credit and the planning of their degree programs.

All students are urged to make advising appointments early during each semester, prior to registration dates, to obtain approval of schedules for upcoming semesters. Advising is a continuous and ongoing process. For information, call (314) 516-5888.

College of Education
Students wishing to prepare for teaching careers should consider the following:

Students who intend to teach in elementary, early childhood, middle school, special education, or physical education settings must apply for admission to the College of Education.

Students who intend to teach in other secondary school classrooms may elect to apply for admission to the College of Education to pursue the Bachelor of Science in education degree (B.S.Ed.), or they may elect to earn a degree from another college or school at UM-St. Louis and take courses additionally to meet university and state teacher certification requirements.

With either option, pre- and post-degree students must meet university and departmental requirements, as well as those for teacher education in Missouri. Teacher education curricula vary considerably. Regardless of which option a student chooses, he or she must complete the formal application to the teacher education program. Careful planning of individual schedules is necessary to ensure selection of appropriate courses and to avoid extending programs. Students should therefore seek advisory help from the Undergraduate Teacher Education Office at the earliest opportunity. Regular consultation with advisers is essential. The office provides assistance to all students interested in professional education programs and certification requirements. Questions about admission to the teacher education program, sequencing of courses, prerequisites, graduation requirements, and related matters should be directed to 314-516-5937.

College of Fine Arts and Communication
The College of Fine Arts and Communication includes the Department of Art and Art History, Communication, Music, and Theatre and Dance.  These four departments offer eight degrees, both graduate and undergraduate.  The College also serves students with interests in pre-architecture.  The College of Fine Arts and Communication is further distinguished by its collaboration with the community.  Endowed professorships link the University to the Saint Louis Symphony, The St. Louis Art Museum, Opera Theatre of St. Louis,  the Laumeier Sculpture Park and a variety of other St. Louis cultural institutions.

Students and prospective students are encouraged to contact the department advising coordinators for the program of individual study.  Students who maintain a relationship with their department have greater opportunities to meet other students with similar interests as well as optimize their student experience. 

Barnes College of Nursing and Health Studies
The Barnes College of Nursing and Health Studies offers the bachelor of science in nursing degree (B.S.N.) for non-RNs through a four-year or accelerated program of study. RNs who are graduates of diploma or associate degree nursing programs complete a junior-senior B.S.N. track (RN to B.S.N.), which avoids repeating previous nursing education. With both options, students must meet university and Barnes College of Nursing and Health Studies requirements. Careful planning is necessary to assure appropriate course sequencing. Students are strongly encouraged to develop a plan of study in conjunction with a nursing academic adviser to avoid extending the program of study.

Faculty maintain the right to make appropriate curriculum changes to comply with standards for accreditation as stipulated by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and the Missouri State Board of Nursing’s minimum standards.

Pierre Laclede Honors College
Honors Scholars receive both academic advising and personal counseling from the college's administrative and teaching staff throughout their undergraduate careers. During the first two years, particular attention is given to the ways in which students fulfill their Honors College and university general education requirements and prepare themselves for their majors by taking the necessary prerequisites. After a major is declared, Honors College advisement with regard to work done for honors credit continues and is supplemented by major-related advising provided by the appropriate academic unit. The college identifies candidates for major graduate fellowships and assists them in preparing their dossiers. Similar assistance is given to scholars planning to go on to graduate and professional schools or seeking career opportunities immediately upon graduation.

Other Considerations

The University of Missouri has been directed by the Board of Curators to implement a variety of studies designed to assess the outcomes of university education. To this end two types of assessment are required of all students:

  • A test of general educational development given to incoming freshmen and graduating seniors.
  • A test or  project, specified by the major department, given to graduating seniors.

Students who do not comply will not be allowed to graduate.  As alumni, graduates are encouraged to participate in assessment by completing questionnaires sent to them by the university.

Academic Residence
Students must be in residence for at least 24 of the last 30 hours of graded credit (exclusive of courses graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis), except under unusual circumstances, to be decided by the dean.

Students should file a degree application form with their respective dean's office at least one year before the expected graduation date. (Students in the College of Arts and Sciences or Fine Arts and Communication should file their degree applications in the University Advising Center.) The dean's office makes a final check to determine that all graduation requirements have been met. Students should check with the dean's office or an adviser to be sure their program fulfills the requirements of the department and college or school, as well as the university general requirements. To assure graduating at the end of a specific semester, all work for that semester and any delayed grades from previous semesters must be completed with the grades sent to the Office of Admissions no later than the official date for submission of final semester grades.

Course Schedules
Three times during the year, a Schedule of Courses is published, listing the specific courses offered that semester and their meeting times and locations. This Schedule is available as follows:

Fall semester schedule: preceding March.
Winter semester schedule: preceding October.
Summer session schedule: preceding March.

The Schedule is also on the UM-St. Louis Web site: http://www.umsl.edu . The university reserves the right to cancel without notice any course listed in the Bulletin or the Schedule of Courses for any semester or to withdraw any course which does not have adequate enrollment