Ask A Librarian
Ask A Librarian
I Need To ...
Using My Library Account
My Library Account
STL Area Libraries
Locate Journal Titles
Locate eBooks/Online Books
MERLIN / MOBIUS
Connecting to Library Resources
About the Libraries
Where is ...?
Location, Directions & Maps
Giving to the University Libraries
Hours - Test Page
Gifts to the Libraries
Circulation and Access
MERLIN & MOBIUS
Library Instruction Room
Finding Aids by Department or Campus Unit
St. Louis Mercantile Library
State Historical Society
Job Title: SECURITY OFFICER
Job ID# 16591
This is a part-time position involving flexible hours, including nights, weekends and significant public contact.BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Ensure the safety of the patrons and contents of the St. Louis Mercantile Library and the Thomas Jefferson Library.
- Protect the library collections from damage and theft. Provide a courteous and authoritative presence to promote safety within the Libraries.
- Use existing procedures to solve straightforward problems and perform tasks/activities.
- Recognize and solve typical problems that can occur without supervision.
- This position involves reliability, punctuality, and flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
- Physical activity is required, including walking and stooping.
- Complete regular patrols of designated areas and enforce security regulations.
- Monitor security equipment and participate in the opening/closing procedures of the building.
- Provide a first response to emergency situations; serve as liaison to police or emergency personnel responding to emergency situations within the building.
- Provide security during library events; monitor for potential security problems and building maintenance issues.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain/maintain a security officer's license is required.
- Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor, and communicate clearly and courteously with patrons and coworkers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including word processing and email.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience as a police or security officer.
Applicants must apply online at www.umsl.jobs
Salary is $10.43/hour. The successful candidate must undergo a criminal background check.
Please email Pat Tansey (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions regarding this position.
The University of Missouri-St. Louis is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.