English Advancement Program-Summer
Students Who Are Parents
Accept Our Offer
Living in St. Louis
Weeks of Welcome
Regulations and Tax Information
Student Immigration Info
J-1 Student Employment
Procedures For Entering The U.S.
J-1 Visiting Scholar
Permanent Residency Info
Post-Completion OPT Reporting Forms
Programs & Events
International Education Day
Mi Casa es Su Casa
Visits to Your Country
Re-Entry to the US
F-1 Visa Info
J-1 Visa Info
Change of Address
Back to Immigration Home
If you are an F-1 student, you are eligible to work on-campus as long as you meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. You must be a full-time student in an UMSL degree program
2. You must have a valid, activated SEVIS Form I-20 from UMSL
3. You must have a valid, unexpired passport
4. You must have an I-94 card that is marked "F-1 D/S"
As long as you meet the above criteria, you may engage in on-campus employment. There is no "waiting period" before you are allowed to accept an on-campus job.
You may NOT engage in on-campus employment if any of the following applies:
1. You are not registered as a full-time student (or, if working during the summer term, you do not intend to register in the upcoming fall semester)
2. You have graduated and do not intend to begin a new program at UMSL in the next available term
3. You do not have valid documents as listed above
4. You are on a medical or academic leave of absence or on academic suspension
The following restrictions apply to F-1 students wishing to engage in on-campus employment
a. You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year, full-time (over 20 hours per week) during vacation periods.
b. Your employment may take place at any UMSL office or department, or at the food service businesses located on-campus. On-campus employment also includes graduate or teaching assistantships.
If you meet all of the above criteria, you do not need to obtain specific authorization from the ISSS. Speak to your hiring department's administrator to complete the necessary forms.