English Advancement Program-Summer
Students Who Are Parents
Accept Our Offer
Living in St. Louis
Weeks of Welcome
International Undergraduate Transfer Credit Appeals Process
Appeals Process Letter Template
Regulations and Tax Information
Student Immigration Info
J-1 Student Employment
Procedures For Entering The U.S.
J-1 Visiting Scholar
Permanent Residency Info
Post-Completion OPT Reporting Forms
Programs & Events
International Education Day
Mi Casa es Su Casa
Visits to Your Country
All non-native speakers of English must submit proof of English proficiency with their applications. Minimum scores for undergraduate admission are below:
TOEFL iBT 61
English requirements for graduate applicants vary by department, though it is recommended that students have one of the following test scores:
TOEFL iBT 79
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English scores may apply for conditional admission by enrolling in ELS Language Centers. ELS is a private company--with a separate application--but it is located on UMSL's campus. Students who graduate from ELS do not need to submit a TOEFL score for admission to UMSL. To apply for conditional admission through ELS, please follow the steps below:
1. Apply to ELS Language Center. Direct all questions about ELS to their private offices.
2. Receive an acceptance letter and an I-20 from ELS.
3. Apply for conditional admission at UMSL. Send all application materials (except a TOEFL score) to International Student & Scholar Services. Include a copy of your acceptance letter from ELS.
4. If accepted, receive a conditional admission letter from UMSL.
5. Take the I-20 from ELS and the conditional letter from UMSL to a U.S. embassy. Apply for an F-1 visa.
6. Arrive in the United States and enroll at ELS.
7. After graduating from ELS Level 112, transfer to UMSL in August or January to begin a degree program.