Visits to Your Country
Students Who Are Parents
Accept Our Offer
Living in St. Louis
Weeks of Welcome
Regulations and Tax Information
Student Immigration Info
J-1 Student Employment
Procedures For Entering The U.S.
J-1 Visiting Scholar
Permanent Residency Info
Post-Completion OPT Reporting Forms
Programs & Events
International Education Day
Mi Casa es Su Casa
All non-native speakers of English must submit proof of English proficiency with their applications. Minimum scores for undergraduate admission are below:
TOEFL iBT 61
English requirements for graduate applicants vary by department, though it is recommended that students have one of the following test scores:
TOEFL iBT 79
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English scores may apply for conditional admission by enrolling in ELS Language Centers. ELS is a private company--with a separate application--but it is located on UMSL's campus. Students who graduate from ELS do not need to submit a TOEFL score for admission to UMSL. To apply for conditional admission through ELS, please follow the steps below:
1. Apply to ELS Language Center. Direct all questions about ELS to their private offices.
2. Receive an acceptance letter and an I-20 from ELS.
3. Apply for conditional admission at UMSL. Send all application materials (except a TOEFL score) to International Student & Scholar Services. Include a copy of your acceptance letter from ELS.
4. If accepted, receive a conditional admission letter from UMSL.
5. Take the I-20 from ELS and the conditional letter from UMSL to a U.S. embassy. Apply for an F-1 visa.
6. Arrive in the United States and enroll at ELS.
7. After graduating from ELS Level 112, transfer to UMSL in August or January to begin a degree program.