All non-native speakers of English must submit an official TOEFL or IELTS score. The minimum TOEFL score for undergraduate admission is 61 iBT (500 paper-based, 173 computer-based). The minimum IELTS score is 6.0.
English requirements for graduate applicants vary by department, though it is recommended that students have a TOEFL score of at least 79 iBT (or an IELTS score of 6.5).
All scores must be sent directly from the testing company to International Student & Scholar Services. For information on exceptions to the language requirements, click here.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English scores may apply for conditional admission by enrolling in ELS Language Centers. ELS is a private company--with a separate application--but it is located on UMSL's campus. Students who graduate from ELS do not need to submit a TOEFL score for admission to UMSL. To apply for conditional admission through ELS, please follow the steps below:
1. Apply to ELS Language Center. Direct all questions about ELS to their private offices.
2. Receive an acceptance letter and an I-20 from ELS.
3. Apply for conditional admission at UMSL. Send all application materials (except a TOEFL score) to International Student & Scholar Services. Include a copy of your acceptance letter from ELS.
4. If accepted, receive a conditional admission letter from UMSL.
5. Take the I-20 from ELS and the conditional letter from UMSL to a U.S. embassy. Apply for an F-1 visa.
6. Arrive in the United States and enroll at ELS.
7. After graduating from ELS Level 112, transfer to UMSL in August or January to begin a degree program.