Each year, the International Student & Scholar Services office selects 10-14 outstanding orientation leaders (OLs). These OLs welcome new international students to campus by picking them up from the airport, guiding them through orientation, and serving as a contact after orientation is over. OLs are the face of international student orientation – they represent UMSL, promote intercultural interaction, and help new students adjust to life on campus. OLs share their knowledge about the university and St. Louis – both formally (through short presentations) and informally (through interaction). The OLs serve in a leadership and mentoring role to new students, linking them to resources and activities available on campus and in the community. Finally, the OLs also help in the development of short orientation presentations.
Training, airport pick-ups, orientation, and outings take place August 5 - August 20. Please see the application for detailed information on hours.
OLs receive a $200 stipend for their work. Serving as an orientation leader is also a great personal growth experience and an excellent contribution to your resume/C.V. You will also receive a t-shirt and lunches during orientation.
- We welcome both international students and internationally-minded domestic students to apply.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA (undergraduate) or 3.0 GPA (graduate)
- Possess leadership, mentoring, and/or team-building skills (as demonstrated by past experience)
- Possess a positive, warm, flexible, and inclusive attitude that embraces UMSL’s mission and policies
- A valid U.S. driver’s license and access to a car is preferred but not required
The application form includes basic personal information and written responses. Then applicants will have a brief interview with an international student advisor. Applications are due Wednesday, May 21 at 5pm. Please turn in completed applications to MSC 261, where you will also sign up for your interview. Interviews are held on May 22.