myPerformance is UMSL’s goal setting and performance improvement process. On an annual basis UMSL leaders and their direct reports are expected to participate in a process that includes, at a minimum:
- A self-appraisal by the employee
- A written appraisal by the employee’s supervisor
- A meeting in which the employee and supervisor discuss the employee’s performance and set performance and development goals for the coming year.
The purpose of myPerformance is to:
- provide a fair and equitable basis for evaluating employee performance;
- improve communication related to performance;
- clarify expectations related to the position and the University's mission, values and goals;
- recognize and reward employee performance;
- improve productivity and performance of the University;
- identify employee training and development needs;
- serve as an input for determining salary increases.
CRR 320.065 Performance Management
HR-501 Performance Appraisals
What’s NewEvaluation Criteria
For 2017 all associates will be evaluated against seven competencies, referred to as SuccessFactors. The SuccessFactors are used throughout the UM System. Due to the nature of their work, Maintenance and Custodial employees will be evaluated using their key responsibilities in addition to the SuccessFactors. It is important that you know the definition of each SuccessFactor as well as behavioral statements that apply to your job or the job of the person you are evaluating.Calibration
For 2017 we are introducing a process known as calibration. Through calibration we will reduce variation, and ensure consistency, fairness and accountability of performance ratings. By building a common understanding and application of the performance standards between the raters we will avoid the common issue of ratings differences just because one manager is a tough evaluator and another is more lenient. In facilitated calibration meetings those managers will now be accountable to each other and to the people they evaluate for applying and rating the SuccessFactors in a consistent way. This is especially important as performance ratings will be the basis for determining merit increases when they are budgeted.Form Changes
|Union Form||Success Factors + Key Responsibilities Key Responsibilities were entered in by the employee and supervisor||Success Factors + Key Responsibilities (pre-populated based on title)|
|Support Task Expert Form||Success Factors + Key Responsibilities Key Responsibilities were entered in by the employee and supervisor||Success Factors + 1 blank factor.|
|Subject Matter Professional Form||Success Factors + Goals||Success Factors + 1 blank factor.|
|Management Form||Success Factors + Goals||Success Factors + 1 blank factor.|
|Leadership Form||Success Factors + Goals||Success Factors + 1 blank factor.|
- Watch the Performance Appraisal Process Video
- Enroll in a live training session via MyLearn
- Review/Understand SuccessFactor definitions and Behavioral Statements
- Draft your self-appraisal
- Finalize and submit your self appraisal
- Manager drafts employee appraisals
- Managers participate in Calibration Workshop(s) facilitated by Human Resources
- Managers revise draft appraisals, finalize and “submit”
- Second level managers review appraisals, address any concerns and approve.
- Managers and employees meet for Performance Appraisal sessions.
- HR analyzes performance ratings to create a Merit Increase Guide that achieves UMSL’s merit budget in years where merit pay is budgeted and approved.
- Managers and employees meet to discuss merit pay.
In the tabs below, you will find resources to help you set goals, give feedback and drive improvement through the MyPerformance process. For additional information, please contact email@example.com. Information and training for managers can be located on the Manager SharePoint site. If you need access to the SharePoint site, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- myPerformance Employee Training (myLearn)
- HR Manager Sharepoint
- Enroll in a Live Training Session
- Goal Setting
- Writing Your Self Appraisal
- myLearn Resources Success Factors
- Blank Success Factor Options
- Success Factor Definitions by Job Group
- Performance Appraisal Training for Employees
- Performance Appraisal Training for Managers
- Diversity and Inclusion Resource
- Appraisal Key Dates