Sending a thank you note is a simple gesture, but it has a big impact on the recipient. Anyone who gives you sometime (time, money, assistance, etc.) doesn't have to do it. Saying thank you lets them know that you noticed their generosity and that you appreciate it.
When writing a thank you note to the donor of your scholarship, there are a variety of topics you can include.
First and foremost, say thank you and don't forget to mention the name of the scholarship
Donors like to know who they are helping. Tell them a little bit about yourself. When the University selects the recipient on the donor's behalf, the donor frequently doesn't know much, if anything, about you. You can include any of the following information to help the donor get to know you better:
- Why did you choose your major?
- Where did you grow up?
- Talk about what you are studying, about a favorite course or professor, about a classroom experience, or about something valuable you have learned.
- Talk about what you hope to accomplish this year.
- Mention any involvement in campus activities or professional organizations related to your field of study.
- Describe what you like and enjoy about UMSL.
- Talk about what you hope to do with your education or what you want to do in the future.
- Describe what it means to you to earn a degree.
- Talk about the impact that the scholarship has had in your life.
- Describe new opportunities the scholarship may have afforded you.
Remember that donors are friends of the UMSL community. They are interested in you and your experiences here. Donors contribute to scholarships because they want to help people reach their personal and professional goals. Let them know that their generosity has made a difference in your life!
For other suggestions about writing thank you notes check out the following sites:
The University does not share donor information with students. If you are unsure of how to open the thank you note, you can use Dear Donor, Dear Scholarship Donor, or anything similar. If you received a letter or email at your UMSL email address indicating you need to accept your scholarship through the Scholarship Application, then please upload your thank you note there. Otherwise, you can send your thank you notes to the following address:
Donor Thank You Letters
Office of Development
440 Woods Hall
One University Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63121