Common Searches


Where do I get a FAFSA?

A FAFSA is to be completed online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. High school seniors may also get a FAFSA from their guidance counselors.

I filed the FAFSA more than 4 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything. How do I check on my application?

To check on your application, please call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800)433-3243, or use their live chat, or email option at https://studentaid.gov/help-center/contact#all-aid-fsaic. The electronic processing time is generally 3-5 business days before UMSL is able to verify receipt.

I forgot to list UMSL as a school to receive my information when I filed the FAFSA. How do I add UMSL to the list?

You can call log into the FAFSA website and add our school code, or you can contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center (using the contact information above), and request that UMSL be added (our school code is 002519)

My parents are divorced. Whose information should I list on the FAFSA?

You should provide the information of the parent with whom you lived for most of the previous 12 months. If you did not live with either parents, or divided the time equally between the two, provide the information for the parent from whom you received most support.

Do I need to provide my stepfather's/step mom's information on the FAFSA?

If the parent with whom you lived most of the year prior to the aid year for which you are applying is remarried, you should include the stepparent's information on the FAFSA.

I am currently single, but plan to marry over the summer before school starts. How should I report my marital status?

Marital status should be reported as of the date that the FAFSA is signed by the applicant.

Should I report my parents' retirement funds as assets?

The value of the retirement accounts (IRA's, 401K) should not be included under assets. However, the annual retirement fund contributions should be listed as untaxed income.

After you apply:

About 3-5 business days after submitting an electronic FAFSA, you will receive an e-mail including your Student Aid Report (SAR). It will include a summary of the information you reported on the FAFSA--please review the information. If necessary, make corrections, sign the form, and either return it to the Federal Processor as instructed on the form, or submit the form to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

The SAR may also include certain comments concerning the information you reported, such as indicators that the FAFSA information is incomplete or questionable. Please review these comments and take the recommended action to resolve the problem.

The SAR will also tell you a general statement of what aid you could be eligible for. At the time you receive the SAR, the financial aid office will receive the same information in the electronic format. If you've been admitted to the university as a degree-seeking student they will contact you via UMSL email with an offer of aid or a request for additional information needed to make an award decision.