Volunteer Notetaker Accommodations
Disability Access Services provides note taking as a
mandated support service. All students who receive notetaker accommodations must
attend class, but they may need notetakers for various reasons, most often
because they cannot use their hands, write slowly, or cannot keep up with the
amount of notes in class.
- DAS relies on students in courses to volunteer as notetakers. If a student requests a volunteer notetaker in your course, your assistance will be needed in locating a notetaker.
- You may choose a notetaker at your own discretion or make an announcement in your class. If you make an announcement, these key points should be emphasized:
- Keep the announcement confidential by simply stating that
“Disability Access Services” needs a notetaker for this class. It is
against confidentiality laws to disclose the identity of the student.
- This is a volunteer opportunity (not a part time job). For students
that attend class and take notes regularly, this assignment is easy.
- There are two benefits you will receive for volunteering:
- The satisfaction of knowing you helped someone
- It looks great on a resume. Volunteer work makes you more marketable when applying for jobs.
Sample Email or MyGateway Announcement:
The following paragraph can be emailed to the class or posted in MyGateway to help locate a volunteer notetaker.
Request for volunteer:
Disability Access Services is
asking for a student from this class to volunteer to share their notes with a
classmate with a disability. Students with a disability attend class
regularly; however their disability may interfere with their ability to take
notes. For students attending class and taking notes regularly, this assignment
is easy. There are two benefits you will receive for volunteering:
- The satisfaction
of knowing you helped someone
It looks great on
a resume. Volunteer work makes you more marketable when applying for jobs.
If you would like to
volunteer for this opportunity, please let me know as soon as possible. Thank
you for your help and consideration!