Statement of Ethics
By virtue of our responsibilities within the academic community, the Office of Development represents the University of Missouri-St. Louis to the larger society. We have an obligation to uphold the trust given to us by our donors and the public. We hold ourselves to the standard of behavior stated below and the professional standards set forth by our professional organizations.
- All gifts are accepted and managed within the policies of the Board of Curators with complete assurance that the requests of donors are fulfilled.
- All development programs are based on the right of an individual to allocate his or her gift for use to any department, division or campus within the university, as allowed by the UM System Collected Rules and Regulations. The university reserves the right to reject any gift.
- Unrestricted gifts are managed in the best interests of the university by the chancellor or his or her designee under authority granted by the Board of Curators.
- We safeguard privacy rights and confidential information.
- We promote the merits of UMSL and of public education generally without disparaging other educational institutions.
- We respect all individuals without regard to race, ethnic or national identity, gender, marital status, religion or creed, physical abilities, sexual preference or age.
- We uphold the professional reputation of our colleagues and give credit for ideas, words or images originated by others.
- We neither grant nor accept favors for personal gain, nor solicit or accept favors for this university or any unit where a higher public interest would be violated.
- We avoid actual or apparent conflicts of interest and, if in doubt, seek guidance from appropriate authorities.
- We follow the letter and spirit of laws and the UM System Collected Rules and Regulations affecting institutional advancement.
The above statement has been adapted from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education. Please also refer to:
CASE Donors' Bill of Rights
AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice
Collected Rules and Regulations of the UM System, development
APA E-donor Bill of Rights
APRA Statement of Professional Ethics