Certificate in University Teaching (CUT)
Graduate students may now enroll for CUT - the graduate Certificate in University Teaching - which offers the option of a formal course or workshops, conferences for professional development, feedback on teaching, and a variety of seminars. Download our booklet describing the program and contacts. Watch this page for details of specific events related to the program.
CUT Brochure 2013-2014
HOW DO YOU PARTICIPATE?
- Attend the two-day Graduate Student Professional Development Conference in August
- Take a combination of graduate courses for credit and workshops (see below) for each unit
- Take the workshops (see below).
- Choose 2 out of 3 from Units 1, 2, and 3; 1 and 2 meet on alternate Fridays from 10 AM-12 noon
- Units 4 and 5 are both required; Unit 4 is arranged; Unit 5 meets once a month from 1-3 PM
*Note: For any graduate seminars, you must enroll for these courses as you would any other course (via MyView). Tuition rates apply and you will earn credit hours toward degree completion. The workshops, however, require a separate registration and fee. Use the links below to register.
Faculty and staff colleagues from UMSL and other campuses are welcome to register for one or more CUT units. Please contact Dr. Peggy Cohen to discuss related fees.
Spring 2014 Schedule
The Registration for Fall CUT units will open July 1. The registrations below are ONLY for Spring units.
(Subject to change as our planning for the 2013-2014 year continues)
CUT Unit 1: Teaching for Learning in the University
SPRING 2014 -- Graduate Course Option:
Teaching for Learning in the University (EdPsy 7647) - offered Spring 2014 semester on Mondays, 5:30 - 8:10 PM (reference no. 14302)
SPRING 2014 -- Workshop Option: Teaching for Learning in the University
Attend 7 (out of 8) two-hour workshops
Time: 10 am-12 noon
Location: Listed below
- Applying theories of learning and motivation - Friday, Jan. 31 - ESH104
- Designing and assessing assignments - Friday, Feb. 14 - ESH104
- Developing a Teaching Resources Portfolio - Friday, Feb. 28 - ESH104
- Integrating civic engagement - Friday, March 7 - ESH103
- Observing the strategies of outstanding professors - Friday, March 21 - ESH103
- Becoming an effective lecturer - Friday, April 4 - ESH103
- Practicing learner-centered instruction - Friday, April 18 - ESH103
- Revising your teaching portfolio - Friday, May 2 - ESH103
CUT Unit 2: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Unit 2 is NOT OFFERED in Spring semesters.
CUT Unit 3: Teaching with Technology
Unit 3 requires two components for completion, a Spring component (course or workshop) AND a Fall component (attending conferences). After registering (link below), complete the Spring component (course or workshop) and then attend and complete logs for the Graduate Student Conference and the Focus on Teaching and Technology Conference.
Spring 2014 -- Graduate Course Option:
Selection And Utilization Of Educational Multimedia(EdTech 5340) - offered Spring 2014 semester on Tuesdays, 5:30 - 8:10 PM (reference no. 12603)
SPRING 2014 -- Workshop Option: Building Readiness to Teach Online
This series of online modules is designed to be completed in 8 weeks beginning Friday, February 28, 2014
- Attend and submit conference log for the Graduate Student Conference (August)
- Attend and submit conference log for the Focus on Teaching and Technology Conference (November)
*NOTE: You may complete the Fall Component before the Spring Component, but you will still need to register for Unit 3 using the registration below.
CUT Unit 4: Teaching Practicum
The practicum may be taken after at least one semester of CUT. This experience may include: teaching a three-hour, one semester university or community college course online or on campus, running a laboratory, or tutoring. Check the CUT brochure for requirements specific to teaching on campus or online:
- Attend orientation meeting with the Practicum Supervisor
Time/Location: January 27 at 4 pm in CTL Conference Room, Lucas Hall 589
- Submit weekly reflection logs to the Practicum Supervisor.
- Schedule observations or provide access to your course and arrange follow-up discussions with the Practicum Supervisor.
CUT Unit 5: Professional Development
Spring 2014 -- Workshop Option:
Time: 1 pm-3 pm
Location: Listed below
- Developing your Letter of Application and Academic CV - Friday, Feb. 14 - ESH104
- Preparing and Presenting your Job Talk - Friday, March 7 - ESH103
- Writing Grant Proposals - Friday, April 4 - ESH103
- $tart $mart: Negotiating Your Salary - Friday, May 2 - ESH103