Center for Teaching and Learning
Service-Learning for Faculty
Service-Learning Faculty Guide: A valuable step-by-step introduction to service-learning designed specifically for UMSL faculty.
Finding Non-Profit Organizations: Databases to help you connect with the right organization and project.
Sample Syllabi: Syllabi from UMSL faculty who have incorporated service-learning.
View current grants available specifically for service-learning projects.
- Expands role of educator from giver of knowledge to facilitator of knowledge
- Inspires innovative teaching methods
- Provides invaluable hands-on experience for students
- Broadens areas for research and publication related to current trends and issues
- Promotes democratic citizenship and leadership
- Enhances UMSL's commitment to the metropolitan region
- Contributes to UMSL's goal for civic engagement
||Prepare tax returns for low income or elderly people
||Paint public murals around community themes
- Create a marketing plan for local non-profit
- Assist in establishing sound business practices for a food pantry
- Create a literacy program for at-risk children
- Plan a math, science, or other educational fair
||Design prenatal health and eduation care for teens
||Guide foster-care teens to become productive adults
For additional information regarding resources and support contact Megan Hill. Megan is an AmeriCorps*VISTA funded by a Missouri Campus Compact Grant to work with Student Life and the CTL to assist development of service-learning, civic engagement, and student volunteer engagement at UMSL.