Proposal Ideas | Presenter Tips | Technology FAQ
Interested in submitting a proposal for the Focus on Teaching and Technology Conference but unsure of what to present? Consider the following ideas:
- Innovative use of a technology tool in traditional, hybrid, online courses
- Course redesign ideas, process, story, lessons learned
- Adaptive learning
- Social media in instruction
- Trends in mobile learning (use of mobile devices in/outside the classroom in higher ed)
- Flipping the classroom
- Big Data / Data Analytics
- Open Education Resources
- Active Learning in Online/Hybrid Courses
- Learning Communities
- Strategies to engage students
- Tech solutions to make lectures more interactive
- High Impact Educational Experiences
- Strategies and Successful solutions for Online Peer Review
- Creative student assessments
- Learning Spaces
Quick Tips for Presenters!
- Follow a logical progression from Introduction to Body to Conclusion.
- Deliver your message with authenticity – use stories and metaphors to increase the impact of your message.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Listen to your audience.
- Project your voice.
- Know your stuff – practice, practice, practice. Don’t read your PowerPoint to the audience.
A PowerPoint presentation is a visual aid; they should:
Avoid using fillers like “um” and “ah” – pauses work best in place of fillers.
Bring life to the presentation – during your session allotment you are an entertainer.
We strongly encourage Q&A for the last 5-10 minutes of your presentation.
- Use large fonts.
- Avoid all caps.
- Avoid busy backgrounds.
- Use a healthy combination of images, words and charts.
- Provide key takeaways for the audience.
Q: What technology will be available to presenters?
A: Each room will have a computer workstation, a projector with VGA connection, and wireless/wired internet.
Q: What is the best way to bring my presentation?
A: Bring a USB drive with the presentation on it; as a backup, please also upload it to a cloud storage option like Google Drive, SkyDrive, or Dropbox.
Q: What if my presentation requires special equipment?
A: Please contact Keeta Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org to get individualized help.
Q: What else do I need to know?
A: If your presentation has handouts, please remember to print them before arriving to campus.