The Academic Alert System is available during the entire fall and spring terms and through the last summer session.
1. Open the Academic Alert System from your MyGateway Faculty/Staff page. Under the Faculty Toolbox, click on the Academic Alert link. You will be navigated to the Academic Alert system log in page.
2. Log on to the Academic Alert system utilizing your SSO ID & password just as you would for MyGateway.
3. Once logged on, you will have a list of the courses you are teaching. Click on the Class Number, Catalog Number, or Section Number. You can return to this page at any point simply by clicking the Home link at the top of the page. (Only instructors that are listed as the faculty of record through the Registrar's Office will be able to access the Academic Alert system. Instructors may give their Teaching Assistants access to the Academic Alert system, by providing the name and SSO of the Teaching Assistant(s) to Theresa Keuss, firstname.lastname@example.org in the Registrar's Office.)
4. Once you have opened the class/section, you will have an alphabetic roster list of the students in the course. The entire roster will appear. You can navigate through the roster using the scroll bar. For large enrollment classes, move the outer scroll bar down as far as possible and still maintain the column headings. Then move the inner scroll bar to the right of the roster to see remaining students on the list. Choose the category for the referral by clicking the appropriate box(es). You may create a referral at any point in the semester - all referrals for a course do not have to be entered at the same time. If necessary, you may also complete a second referral on a student as circumstances dictate. A second referral number will be created and processed.
5. Notes section
a. The pen icon under Add Notes? opens each note individually for each student.
b. The Show/Hide Other Notes at the top of the roster screen allows the faculty member to open or close all the notes for the entire course roster. If you have opened notes individually, however, this click will close those notes that are open and open those notes that are closed.
d. Remember, all comments that are posted in the Notes section are included in an automatically generated email to the student.
e. If you have pertinent information that you would like to share with the Student Development Coordinator assigned to a particular referral, but do not want to include this information in the generated email to the student, please use the Private Comment Box.
6. You will have continuous access to the system and be able to log in and determine the current status of any student referral. If you would like automated notification via your campus e-mail of status changes for an individual student referral, check "E-mail Status Notification" and you will be notified each time the status of a student's referral changes. [The default setting is that faculty are not automatically notified.] This box can be checked or unchecked at any point in the active referral process.
7. After you have completed your course report, click on the Save All at the top or bottom of the screen. Return to the Home page. Once you submit information for a particular course/section, the report icon (stacked sheets of paper) will change from blue to red. When the icon is red, you can click on that icon to print a report of the information you submitted. The report cannot be printed from the entry screen. You must save the report to be able to print a copy. You also cannot edit from the report screen.
8. If you wish to review the current status of any student referrals, follow the same steps to return to the course report site and status updates will be available in the course report. Referral status categories include:
a. Received - Referral has been submitted by instructor
b. Assigned - Student Development Coordinator has been assigned to referral
c. Contacted - Student Development Coordinator has contacted student by phone and/or UMSL email account
d. Replied - Student replied and an action plan developed
e. Refused - Student replied and was not interested in services or campus resources
f. Followed Up - Student contacted Student Development Coordinator again after initial contact and/or campus resource as suggested
g. Partially Completed - Student completed at least one of the suggestions made by the Student Development Coordinator
h. Meeting with Faculty - Student responded to Student Development Coordinator and plans to meet with instructor as suggested
i. Completed - Student reported that suggestions made by Student Development Coordinator were completed
j. Closed - No reply from student