Center for Student Success
Resources from Other Universities
Information for New College Students
- Ten Things Every College Student Should Know
- Five Things They Don't Tell You in Freshman Orientation
- Scheduling Do's and Don'ts for First Year Students
- The First-Generation College Experience
- Transitioning from High School to College Academics
- Learning to Study for College Courses
Choosing a Major or a Career
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Picking a Major, from US News & World Report.
- 11 Skills You'll Need for a Career, is also from US News & World Report.
- Matching Majors to Occupations is a good resource from Florida State University.
- Strategy Tips for Deciding on a Major
Managing Time and Money
- Virginia Tech has a useful and interactive site that helps students manage time to improve academic performance, Time Management Strategies
- For more information on techniques in Managing Time, visit the University of Victoria.
- Mind Tools provides tips on Time Management, setting priorities, goal setting and scheduling.
- For ideas on how to manage your time, Time Scheduling, visit this Virginia State University.
- Do you need some Self-Management Tools so that you can make some changes in your life and achieve your goal?
- Mapping Your Future is your free resource for career, college, financial aid, and money management information.
- University of Northern Iowa has a comprehensive list of Sites to Promote Student Success.
- A GPA Calculator is available at University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Strategies for Academic Success is available from Wichita State University.
- Top 12 Time-Management Tips
- Having difficulty planning for a long term assignment? See this website for an Assignment Calculator so that you can get your long term assignment done on time! See this time management tip and lots more at How to Study.
- How To Study is a website with Basic Academic Tips and Strategies for 29 subject areas.
- Academic Tips, Exam Tips, Speech Tip. Memory Techniques. See Studying for Particular Courses, as Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
- West Valley College persents an overview of Study Skills, Test Taking Strategies and Time Management.
- Ten Highly Effective Study Habits
- Study Guides and Strategies - Time Management, Study Skills, Preparing for Tests, Test Taking, Classroom Participation, Math, Writing and more. In addition, these guides are also translated into more than 30 foreign languages.
- Preview, Read, Recall for the Natural Sciences is another resource specifically for the sciences.
- Quizlet allows you to create your own flash card system or choose from over 100 subject areas.
- Flash Card Machine is a web application that enables users to create interactive web-based study flash cards and share them with others.
- Active Study or Everything You Need to Know About Learning is from the Academic Skills Center at Dartmouth College.
- California Polytechnic University maintains a good site, Tests: Objective, on test taking tips, and "best guess answers."
- This is a great site for test anxiety reduction exercises, Test Anxiety and Relaxation
- Are you interested in improving your skills for Open Book and Take Home Exams?
- A more detailed resource for Open Book and Take Home Exams is available at this link and is in a printable format.
- Top 10 Tips for Taking Essay Tests
A Dozen Reasons to Review a Returned Test
- Consider the Bullseye Strategy regarding Test Preparation.
Improving Memory and Reading
- For more information on memory techniques see, Memory Improvement Techniques.
- For more information on using mnemonics see, An Introduction to Memory Techniques.
- Strategies For Improving Concentration and Memory is available at Virginia Tech University.
- For more information on memory techniques and, Remembering, visit the University of Victoria.
- What is Involved in Becoming an Effective Notetaker? is available on Williamette website.
- See this site for information on Mind Mapping.
- Visit this site for information on the connection between Note-taking and memory.
- Visit this University of Victoria site for a detailed description of how to make a mind map, Note Making.
- California Polytechnic State University explains 5 different Note Taking Systems. Learn the advantages and disadvantages to each and choose one that works for you.
- Mind Tools also has a link explaining Personal Goal Setting.
- Motivation is critical for academic success. This link contains various motivational strategies.
- Setting Goals for Yourself, and Motivating Yourself to Succeed is a great resource in a pdf document from the University of Cincinnati.
- For more ideas on Overcoming Procrastination, visit the State University at Buffalo.
- University of North Carolina has some valuable information on Procrastination.
- Design Your Own Anti-Procrastination Plan
- Overcoming Procrastination from the University of Texas.
- Another resource for Overcoming Procrastination.
- This Math Power site, Ten Ways To Reduce Math Anxiety, and includes tips to assist in studying for math tests and taking math tests.
- How to Study Math by Paul Dawkins at Lamar University in Texas.
- Beginning Algebra is an online tutorial from West Texas A&M University.
- Intermediate Algebra is an online tutorial from West Texas A&M University.
- College Algebra is an online tutorial from West Texas A&M University.
- GRE Math Study Session provides specific concepts about each of the four main areas of the math part of the GRE General Test from the West Texas A&M University.
- Math Help Sites has links to online tutorials, and information on topics from algebra to more advanced math; compiled by Paul Dawkins at Lamar University in Texas.
- Use this UMSL site, Writing Lab, to find out how to write better papers and essays.
- What is an academic paper?
- Writing Skills
- Study Skills-Writing Skills
- Better Writing Skills
Resources in Various Areas
- Reading Comprehension skills can positively impact many facets of student academic performance. Students who have effectively read an d understood reading assignments are better prepared for class, leading to improved class participation and more accurate and complete notes.
- Dartmouth's Academic Skills Center has the following online videos: Learning Strategies for General Chemistry, Time Management, Notetaking, Stress Management and Reading Improvement.
- Do You Find Your Courses Interesting? Vanier College explains that two of the most crucial factors for academic success are MOTIVATION to learn and the ATTITUDE that you have towards your courses.
- 13 Ways to Make Your Professor Love You
- The Khan Academy has a library of over 2100 educational videos on Math, Science, Humanities, Test Preparation and more.
- Top 10 Tips for Your Last Two Years at College - Professors Guide from US News & World Report.