Meet the Staff
How to Make an Appointment
What to Expect
Crisis and Emergency Services
Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence
What to Do After an Assault
Myths vs. Realities
How to help a friend
Local & Online Resources
Faculty and Staff Resources
Don't Cancel Class
Reducing Mental Health Stigma in Your Classroom
Virtual Relaxation Room
Resources for Parents
Helping a Friend
Adjusting to College Life
Crisis Voice & Text Chat
Mental Health Information Center
Death and Grief
Drinking & Drugs
Gender and Sexuality
Trauma and Violence
Social Justice Library
Counseling Services provides consultation to students, faculty, or staff at UMSL. We offer workshops on team-building, helping troubled employees, reaching out to students in distress, resolving conflict, and managing crises. In the past, we have also served as consultants for students experiencing roommate difficulties or conflicts in student organizations.
Counseling Services’ professional psychologists provide the following consultation services to faculty:
- Telephone consultation to discuss your concerns about a troubled or troubling student and to generate options for intervention and/or referral.
- Emergency counseling sessions for students in crisis. You are welcome to call ahead, to let us know the student needs to be seen immediately. If you are concerned about whether the student will arrive safely, you may want to walk the student to our office.
- Crisis visits (‘House Calls’) to your office to talk with the student and assist in emergency interventions.
- CS staff can be available at your office to offer support to a student who is getting ‘bad news’ (e.g., being released from a program or department). In most cases, we would meet with the student privately after they meet with you.
- CS staff can meet with you and a disruptive student, to work on clarifying expectations and a plan for behavioral improvement.
- Counseling Services staff will look at a student’s written work and offer an opinion of whether there is sufficient concern to follow up with the student.
- For faculty, staff, and students who are seeking referral to an off-campus counselor, we provide consultation and have an extensive list of referral options in the community.