Counseling Services provides both consultation and referral assistance for UMSL faculty and staff. Our professional counselors are available to consult regarding issues such as conflict resolution, concern about a student or a fellow employee, working with difficult people, improving communication skills, team building, and creative problem solving.
For faculty and staff who are seeking personal counseling for themselves, our office is able to provide referrals to outside providers. Counseling for families and children is available at Community Psychological Service, 232 Stadler Hall, (314) 516-5824.
Counseling Services’ professional psychologists provide the following consultation services to faculty:
- Telephone consultation to discuss your concerns about a troubled or troubling student and to generate options for intervention and/or referral.
- Emergency counseling sessions for students in crisis. You are welcome to call ahead, to let us know the student needs to be seen immediately. If you are concerned about whether the student will arrive safely, you may want to walk the student to our office.
- Crisis visits (“House Calls”) to your office to talk with the student and assist in emergency interventions.
- CS staff can be available at your office to offer support to a student who is getting “bad news” (e.g., being released from a program or department). In most cases, we would meet with the student privately after they meet with you.
- CS staff can meet with you and a disruptive student, to work on clarifying expectations and a plan for behavioral improvement.
- Counseling Services staff will look at a student’s written work and offer an opinion of whether there is sufficient concern to follow up with the student.
- When you have made a referral, the student has the option for us to release information to you that they have attended counseling. (This is only done with written permission.)
Information on Counseling Services' "Don't Cancel Class" program.