Human Origins Lab - Pre-Visit Lesson Plans
Introduction to The Connecting Human Origin and Cultural Diversity Program (CHOCD) and Homo sapiens sapiens
- Personal introduction
- CHOCD introduction
II. What makes us human?
- Human origin
- How do humans and chimpanzees differ?
- Member of one species Homo sapiens sapiens
1. Arm span vs. height
2. Head Proportions
3. Skull measurement example: ration of length of the skull to the height of the person, calculation
III. What do we eat?
- Bridge from archaeologist finding a skull and measuring the height
of the skull and determining what the person ate by looking at the teeth
- Introduction of herbivore/carnivore/omnivore
1. Show cow skull and human skull as a comparison
2. Show herbivore/carnivore board
- What do humans eat?
- What do cows eat?
4. Group animals/humans according to what they eat
- Cards of examples of different foods for herbivore/carnivore/omnivore
1. Team competition