Procedures and Conditions for Appointment:
Appointment as a Founders Professor must be initiated by the retiring faculty member’s department or college. The appropriate title shall be granted to a member of the faculty who meets the following criteria:
Benefits following retirement and rehiring as a Founders Professor:
- Has achieved the minimum age of sixty-two (62) years as required by the University of Missouri System.
- Has held the rank of associate professor or professor for at least five years;
- Has indicated the desire to be receive the appointment as a Founders Professor;
- Has agreed to the terms of the appointment; and
- Has made contributions to the department and/or college and to the University that are recognized as meritorious by a departmental (division/school) faculty committee; recommended by the dean of the faculty member’s college; and approved by the Provost. The final decision for the appointment is made by the Provost.
Members of the faculty who have received the title of “Founders Professor” shall relinquish their tenured positions (retire), but shall continue as members of the faculty; and their names shall appear as members of the university faculty.
The Founders Professors will generally have a teaching assignment in the appropriate college or school. In special circumstances there may be an alternate assignment agreed upon in another area of faculty responsibility.
Founders Professors will:
- Have email, phone, and computer support;
- Have access to parking, library, and athletics facilities on the same basis as other faculty;
- Be eligible for travel funds (if available) at the discretion of the applicable dean;
- Receive office space appropriate to their assignment;
- Receive compensation as negotiated with the applicable dean up to the limits specified below;
- Be appointed up to 25% FTE and earn no more annually than 25% of the appointee’s final academic year salary; and
- Be eligible for term appointments not exceeding three years in total length.
Founders Professorships will only be awarded to those faculty members who have demonstrated excellence in the areas in which they are seeking assignment. Individuals appointed to these prestigious positions are expected to have ‘good to very good” evaluations in their appointed areas of assignment as judged by the faculty and administration, so that it is in the best interest of the university to retain them in these part-time positions. In making these appointments:
- The University will not provide tenure buyouts of individuals appointed to Founders Professorships;
- Department/division/school/college resources and needs are a central issue – these appointments are considered prestigious and are available only to a select group of faculty members;
- Decisions regarding the terms of the appointment and/or annual renewals (up to a maximum of three years) of the appointments will be based on the needs of the Department, Division, School, or College and the annual evaluations of the Founders Professors; and
- The availability of the Founders Professors program will be widely announced on campus so that faculty desiring to do so may apply for the program. Those accepted into the program must have a record of demonstrated excellence in the area of teaching or in the area of their other assignment as a Founders Professor.
I hereby agree to voluntarily waive and relinquish my tenured position and acknowledge and agree to the provisions of the Founders Professorship Program recited herein.
________________________________________ Date _____________