Missouri London Program-Spring Semester
University of Missouri-St. Louis Study Abroad Program in England
|Missouri London Program
Study literature, politics, business, history, and a variety of other subjects in Central London. Spend a semester living, learning, and even interning in the capitol of the United Kingdom.
Location: London, England
Dates: January 9 - April 26, 2013
Courses available: The Missouri London Program is offered in partnership with CAPA, the Centers for Academic Programs Abroad. MLP and CAPA academic course listings are available. Each semester there is a list of courses approved by UMSL departments for credit in various fields, most often courses in the humanities and social sciences (Shakespeare, British literature, history, politics, etc.). The courses available change each semester.
All students are required to take at least one course offered by Missouri faculty as well as "Understanding Modern Britain" which is the showcase course of the program covering a different topic each week relating to British history, culture and civilization. Distinguished British and European lecturers provide detailed analysis of each subject followed by a full or half-day course related field trip. Any course-related excursions are included in the program fee.
Optional Internship Information: Qualified junior and senior students participating on the Missouri London Program with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible for an integrated 3 to 6 credit hours of internship experience. A wide variety of internships are available to suit a student's individual field of study, background and interests and are arranged on an individual basis. All internships are non-paying positions. Students will spend approximately 15 to 20 hours per week on a full or part-time work experience. Assessment will be determined in consultation with all parties involved. Consult your study abroad advisor and academic advisor for full details on prerequisite courses, departmental requirements, CAPA requirements and application procedures. An additional program fee applies for all interns. Visit the CAPA internship page for complete details!
Eligibility Requirements: To participate on this program, students must meet all UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements. Students must have a minimum UMSL cumulative GPA of 2.75 and be a sophomore, junior, or senior. Students applying to the internship program must have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Housing: You will live in apartments in central London in shared rooms. The apartments have a kitchen so that you can cook your own meals, allowing you the flexibility to arrange your meals according to your own schedule and budget. All apartments ("flats") are easily accessible by Underground ("tube") service from nerby stations or by bus. Details can be found on the CAPA Accommodations Page.
Application and Deposit Deadline: October 22, 2012
Acceptance Documents Deadline: TBA
Program Fee Deadline: TBA
Online Orientation Completion: TBA
Mandatory In-Person Oriention: TBA
Tuition Payment Deadline: UMSL students follow the cashier's schedule. Non-UMSL students must have tuition paid 2 weeks prior to departure.
Program Dates: January 9 - April 26, 2013
1. Academic fees: Students pay UMSL educational fees (including tuition and IT fees) which are billed to your UMSL student account. Financial aid can usually be used towards this program, but students should meet with a Financial Aid Office adviser to confirm their specific financing plans.
2. CAPA fees: A deposit and application fee of $395 is due at the time of application. A CAPA will bill students for the remainder of the fees.
3. Personal expenses. You will need to budget for meals, independent travel, round-trip transportation to London, mandatory insurance, textbooks, personal expenses, passport fees, refundable damage deposit, and optional tours and activities. Estimate approximately $125 per week for miscellaneous expenses.
Below are the 2012-2013 estimated costs for one semester (4 months) at MLP compared to a semester at UMSL. When you participate in the Missouri London Program, you continue to pay UMSL tuition.
|UMSL Educational Fees1
|UMSL Information Technology Fee
|Student Facility, Activity, & Health Fee
|Initial CAPA Registration Fee/Deposit
|Remaining CAPA Housing/Program Fee2
|Books (varies per course)
|Internship Placement Fee (only if applicable)
|CAPA Damage Deposit (refundable)
|Total Estimated Cost5
1 Educational fees are based on 12 credit hours. 2012 Rate, Non-resident fees may apply.
2 UMSL housing cost based on single room. MLP Program fee includes accommodation, subsidized social and cultural activities, and services of CAPA staff.
3 UMSL cost based on Option 3 Plus Meal Plan. MLP meals estimate depends on personal habits (cooking in versus eatting out).
4 Includes local transportation and mandatory international insurance.
5 Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include personal expenses or independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
Anyone not paid in full by the deadlines will be subject to a $100 late payment.
How do I apply?
All UMSL Students and students applying through UMSL from schools that are not MLP/MOCON Member schools should complete the semester program application steps below and turn in paperwork to the UMSL Study Abroad Office, 261 MSC by the deadline of October 22, 2012.
- Study Abroad Application Form. A completed application form is required. Please type the information in the form, print, sign, and date.
- Essay(s). Study Abroad Essay. Submit a one-page statement explaining why you wish to study in a foreign country, why you chose the program you did, what you hope to gain from the experience, and how it will complement your educational and personal goals.
- Official Transcript. Your most current Official transcript must be requested from the Records Office. You can submit the Transcript Request Form and the $5 transcript fee in person to the Record's Office, 351 MSC, and they will send your transcript directly to our office. The $5 transcript fee is payable to the Records Office. Or you can visit the Student Services Request page to view options of requesting online or by fax. (Have it sent directly to 261 MSC Study Abroad office). Please write on your application the date you requested the transcript.
- Two (2) Recommendation Letters. Letters of recommendation from professors: at least one should be from an UMSL professor in your major.
- UMSL students only: Scholarship Application & Scholarship Essay (optional).Students can submit the Scholarship application and Scholarship Essay if they wish. The Office of International Studies and Programs provides scholarships in addition to other financial aid which you may receive. These scholarships are merit-based. The scholarship application deadline is the same date as the study abroad application deadline. Notifications of recipients will go out at the end of the semester applied, and awards will be disbursed approximately 10 days before the start of the program semester.
- In addition, please complete the:CAPA Online APPLICATION PROCESS and the UMSL - CAPA Program Authorization Form (to be signed by the UMSL Study Abroad Application).
How can I learn more?
Visit the CAPA Missouri London Program website for complete program details.
For Additional Information:
Amy Fillo, Study Abroad Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 314-516-6497)