Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
Location: Madrid, Spain, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program open to undergraduate and graduate students
Language of Instruction: Spanish
UMSL Term Abroad: Academic Year, Spring
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Academic Year: October - late June
Spring: February - late June
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements. Students must have a high-intermediate level of Spanish to apply for this program and have taken at least four courses beyond Spanish 2101. Students must still have the required Spanish proficiency regardless of whether or not their course selection is in English.
Application Deadline: We encourage applicants to this program to apply by the priority deadline - your chances of admission are increased by doing so.
- Fall/Academic Year: February 16 (early), March 16 (final)
- Spring: September 23 (final)
Read about UMSL Student Experiences:
Chelsea's Semester at UAM
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Business - Business Administration
- Business - Finance
- Computer Science
- TAUGHT IN SPANISH
- Art History
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology (also available at graduate level)
- Biology (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Accounting
- Business - Business Administration (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Finance (also available at graduate level)
- Business - International Business (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Management (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Marketing (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Operations Management (graduate level only)
- Chemistry (also available at graduate level)
- Computer Science (also available at graduate level)
- East Asian Studies
- Economics (also available at graduate level)
- Education - Counseling (graduate level only)
- Education - Early Childhood Education
- Education - Elementary Education (also available at graduate level)
- Education - Physical Education
- English - Literature (graduate level only)
- English - Writing Studies (graduate level only)
- History (also available at graduate level)
- History - Museum Studies (graduate level only)
- Languages - Ancient Greek
- Languages - Arabic
- Languages - Chinese
- Languages - French
- Languages - Japanese
- Languages - Latin
- Languages - Spanish
- Mathematics (also available at graduate level)
- Music Education (graduate level only)
- Modern European Studies
- Philosophy (also available at graduate level)
- Physics (also available at graduate level)
- Political Science (also available at graduate level)
- Pre-Law or Law
- Psychology (also available at graduate level)
- Public Policy and Administration (also available at graduate level)
The University: The Universidad Autonoma de Madrid is located just 15 km from Madrid in Cantoblanco. Busses and commuter trains provide quick and cheap transportation between downtown and the university campus. Students enjoy the peaceful atmosphere in Cantoblanco and having Madrid so nearby. Founded in 1968, the UAM now has over 33,000 students and is one of the most respected universities in Spain.
Academics: At the UAM, UMSL students will be taking regular university classes alongside their Spanish counterparts. Students can take classes in any department (called a "faculty") at the university, which includes the following:
Ciencias: Sciences: Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
Derecho: Law, Political Science and Public Policy
Filosofía y Letras: Spanish, French, English, Arab, Filosophy, Geography, History and Art History
Ingeniería Informática: Computer Science, MIS
Psicología: Psychology, Anthropolgy
Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales: Business Administration and Economics
A Spanish language class is offered throughout the semester to help students improve their grammar and comprehension.
Housing: The UAM has built a new student residence where most international students choose to live. The Residencia Universitaria Erasmo is located on campus. Students can choose single or double rooms. All rooms are furnished and include a bathroom and fully-equipped kitchen. This housing option fills fast so students should apply as soon as they've been accepted. Alternatively, students may arrive in Madrid a few weeks early and find their own housing in shared apartments. This can be a less expensive option.
Activities and Programs: While not necessarily free of charge, exchange students may participate in clubs, organizations and sports.
Location: Spain is a beautiful, diverse, and accessible country. Over 50 million tourists each year are drawn to its pleasant climate, beautiful beaches, good food, and lively culture. Madrid, the capital of Spain, is a lively city. The people are always in the streets, on their way for some tapas, drinks, a movie, or just to meet up with friends. The city is filled with students and young people.
International Office Website: http://www.uam.es/ss/Satellite/en/1242663011175/subHome/International.htm
University Bulletin: http://www.uam.es/servicios/administrativos/ordenacion/oferta_academica/cuadro_titulaciones0708_ingles.htm
Course Offerings: http://www.uam.es/facultadesyescuelas.html
Housing Website: http://www.resa.es/Residencias/Erasmo/(reservas)
Cost Estimates for 2013-14*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|Books and course materials
|Mandatory HTH insurance
|Meals & Personal Expenses
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2013/14 rate - 2014/15 tuition rate TBA April 2014. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs are based off a four month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.