Location: Melbourne, Australia, Oceania
Program Type: UMSL Fee-Paying Study Abroad Program / Affiliate
Special Notes: Special Scholarship available for a limited time! La Trobe University is offering a minimum of one UMSL student the opportunity to receive their Study Abroad Ambassador Scholarship.These scholarships are valued from approximately $AUD1000. This funding could then be used to pay personal and living expenses while in Australia. Provided by the generosity of La Trobe University.
Special Notes: Students pay La Trobe tuition and fees and earn transfer credit.
Language of Instruction: English
UMSL Terms Abroad: Academic Year, Fall, Spring. Please note: seasons are reversed from the U.S.
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Semester one: Mid February - June 30
Winter Semester two: Mid July - November 30
- Fall/Academic Year: February 16 (final)
- Spring: September 23 (final)
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements. This program is open to students with a 2.5 GPA. Some subjects will have pre-requisites for entry and you can read about these in the subject description.
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Art History
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology (also available at graduate level)
- Biology (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Accounting (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Business Administration (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Finance (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Information Systems (also available at graduate level)
- Business - International Business (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Management (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Marketing (also available at graduate level)
- Chemistry (also available at graduate level)
- Communications (also available at graduate level)
- Computer Science (also available at graduate level)
- Creative Writing (also available at graduate level)
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- East Asian Studies
- Economics (also available at graduate level)
- Education - Adult & Higher Education
- Education - Counseling (graduate level only)
- Education - Early Childhood Education
- Education - Elementary Education
- Education - General Educational Studies
- Education - Physical Education
- Education - Secondary Education
- Engineering - Civil Engineering
- Engineering - Electrical Engineering
- Film Studies
- History (also available at graduate level)
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Relations
- Languages - Chinese
- Languages - French
- Languages - Japanese
- Languages - Spanish
- Latin American Studies
- Liberal Studies
- Media Studies
- Philosophy (also available at graduate level)
- Physics (also available at graduate level)
- Political Science (also available at graduate level)
- Pre-Law or Law
- Professional Writing
- Psychology (also available at graduate level)
- Public Policy and Administration
- Social Work (also available at graduate level)
- Studio Art - General Fine Arts
- Studio Art - Graphic Design
- Women and Gender Studies
The University: La Trobe University is one of Australia's largest and fastest growing universities and is located in Melbourne, Victoria. La Trobe is one of Australia's leading universities and has a world-wide reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Indeed La Trobe has been ranked as one of the top 10 universities in Australia, and one of the top 100 universities world-wide.
When you choose La Trobe University you choose the complete Australian university experience! La Trobe University has more than 26,000 students including over 4,000 international students from over 60 countries, and 3,000 staff. This diversity ensures a safe, supportive study environment for all international students. Whatever your interests, you'll find like-minded friends and a fantastic range of social and recreational activities that enable you to enjoy your time in Australia to the fullest.
La Trobe has six campuses, however the Melbourne (Bundoora) campus and the Bendigo campus are most popular for students seeking Study Abroad.
The Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus (19,500 students), the largest University campus in Australia, is situated 8 miles from central Melbourne. It is one of the most attractive university campuses in Australia, covering 200 hectares of parks and bush land setting with its own waterways and wildlife sanctuary. Public transport, including trams, buses and trains, allows students easy access to the city centre and to other areas of interest around Melbourne and Victoria. Travel from central Melbourne to the campus takes about 30 minutes by bus or car, and 50 minutes by tram. There is easy access to beaches, shopping districts, nightlife - clubs, pubs, live music, theatre, cafés and restaurants - as well as sporting stadiums, galleries, museums, parks, gardens, and historical icons. Ski resorts, national parks, and many other attractions are all within easy reach.
Bendigo is the University's second largest campus. It is situated on 33 hectares of attractive bushland, three kilometres from the city centre and is the natural choice for those interested in studying Outdoor Education. Buses run between the University, city and other locations on a regular basis. The 400 staff and 4,000 students at the Bendigo campus have access to a full range of services and facilities. La Trobe University's Bendigo campus is a great place to meet people.
Academics: La Trobe is a comprehensive university, and study abroad students can choose flexibly from hundreds of subjects offered in five faculties:
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Law and Management
- Science, Technology and Engineering
Internships: Enhance your study abroad experience by combining a practical experience with your study program. Some of our most popular subjects - incorporating internships, fieldtrips and practical learning components – are listed on their website below.
Housing: All of La Trobe University campuses have on-campus accommodation, where you'll be part of the welcoming community of students. Each accommodation option offers different services such as academic support and pastoral, cultural and sporting programs, as well as the option of catered or self-catered accommodation choices.
Activities and Programs: When you're planning a weekend away the options are endless. Bell's Beach (the home of the world-renowned Easter Surfing Classic) is less than two hours from Melbourne. Or, take a day or weekend trip down the Great Ocean Road one of the world's most beautiful coastal drives. There are also 35 National Parks within easy reach of Melbourne from semi-arid desert to lush rainforest. No visit is complete without a trip to Wilson's Promontory at the southern most tip of mainland Australia, with some of the best beaches in Australia. In winter, try our ski resorts less than three hours from the city.
Students can experience all this and more through the La Trobe University sporting clubs, run by students for students. For the more adventurous or just the more curious, there are opportunities to experience first hand the adventurous Australian lifestyle through the Surfing, Snow Sports, Mountaineering, Scuba, and the Waterski & Wakeboard clubs.
Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus: Melbourne is the capital city of the state Victoria. It is the cultural, sporting, shopping and corporate centre of Australia. If our international standard film, arts, comedy and street festivals are not your idea of great recreation, perhaps you'll enjoy some of the sport Melbournians love so much, such as Aussie Rules Football, the Australian Tennis Open, the Melbourne Cup, or the Motorcycle and Formula One Grand Prix. Melbourne was voted the 'World's Most Liveable City' for three consecutive years. And as a city of over 3.5 million, we've got a great nightlife. Melbourne offers all this and more in a city renowned for its safe environment.
Bendigo Campus: The beautiful heritage city of Bendigo is among the top 20 Australian cities in population terms (180,000 people). Only 90 minutes from Melbourne by car or train, it offers the best of both capital and provincial city lifestyles and a truly Australian experience! Our Bendigo is particularly known for its programs in Outdoor and Environmental Education, Fine Arts and Business programs.
International Office Website: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/international/edabroad/studyabroad
Course Offerings: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/international/edabroad/studyabroad/study
Ambassadors Scholarship Program: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/international/fees/scholarships/studyabroad
Cost Estimates for 2013-14*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL. On this program you pay tuition and fees according to La Trobe. Make certain to adjust the budget worksheet to reflect their costs.
|Tuition & Fees through La Trobe||$7800.00|
|Books and course materials||$740.00|
|Mandatory HTH insurance||$140.00|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$2200.00|
|La Trobe Ambassadors Scholarship||$900.00|
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2013/14 rate - 2014/15 tuition rate TBA April 2014. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs based off a four month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
*Program information is subject to change.
Photos and some text courtesy of La Trobe University.